Catsailor.com

Genaker Wound up !

Posted By: RobLammerts

Genaker Wound up ! - 03/15/03 01:30 PM

Gennaker shooter. To minimize the wind resistance the genaker is wound up inside this "thing".
[Linked Image]

http://user.tninet.se/~zdt420t/m20data.htm
Posted By: Mary

Re: Genaker Wound up ! - 03/16/03 11:11 AM

Rob copied the photo and text of the Marstrom 20 above from the European website link that is given with it. Just for the sake of clarifying terminology, I believe that device shown is for spinnakers rather than gennakers. At least in my own understanding, a gennaker (genaker?) is a cross between a spinnaker and a genoa jib and is basically the same thing as a reacher or screacher or hooter in that it is attached and sailed more like a big, full, overlapping, roller-furling jib than like a spinnaker, which is lowered when not in use.

Possibly the terminology is different in other parts of the world, and perhaps some people use the term "gennaker" (or genaker) to refer to an asymmetric spinnaker? I don't know. Rob says his understanding also is that the Marstrom device shown is for spinnakers and not gennakers.

Anyway, this instance is an example of the reason why Rob and others, especially from overseas, have suggested that we have a complete glossary of sailing and catamaran-specific terms so everybody knows what everybody else is talking about. It would also be helpful to translators who are doing English-language versions on websites in other countries.
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Genaker Wound up ! - 03/16/03 03:15 PM

Someone needs to give the poor hermit crab his shell back.
Posted By: Dermot

Re: Genaker Wound up ! - 03/16/03 08:10 PM

In Europe I am fairly sure that a "gennaker" is an asymmetric spinnaker, as used on Tornado and Formula 18, etc.

Re: Genaker Wound up ! - 03/16/03 10:51 PM

Hmmm, then possibly this is a real terminology difference. Rick White also agrees that a gennaker (like a reacher, screacher, or hooter) has a tight luff -- either hanked on, zipped on, or with its own line down through the luff.

Guess I will have to ask a sailmaker.

Re: Genaker Wound up ! - 03/17/03 04:12 PM

I asked Dave Calvert of Calvert Sails, and he defines a gennaker the same way I described it, but he said that some Europeans do refer to asymmetrical spinnakers as gennakers. So when somebody orders a headsail, he does not rely on terminology and asks a lot of questions to make sure of what it is that people are asking for.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Genaker Wound up ! - 03/17/03 05:16 PM

"some europeans" may well be an understatement.

wouter
Posted By: LuckyDuck

Re: Genaker Wound up ! - 03/19/03 07:02 PM

We can call it whatever but its still the big sail in front that gives us imense joy and sometimes great pains. I for one would like to find out more about this launcher. Is it developemental or something that a number of people are using? Is the rotation driven by line? Is there really a snail inside that does all the work and keeps the sail lubricated? Thanks for the posting Rob. This is very interesting.
Posted By: catman

Re: Genaker Wound up ! - 03/20/03 04:36 AM

Robbie Daniels had a Marstrom 20 with that system. It has a carbon drum inside that the KITE is rolled up on. Fact is everything is carbon on that boat.

Mike
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Genaker Wound up ! - 03/20/03 06:42 AM

carbon crab shells.

I've seen it all now.
Posted By: RobLammerts

Re: Genaker Wound up ! - 03/20/03 06:55 AM

Also available in Yellow. [Linked Image]

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums