Catsailor.com

Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie

Posted By: Pointer

Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 01:52 AM

Hi,
I am trying to find a way to mount a portopotty on my hobie 16. I have already cut down a cooler carrier, but the unit I purchased from west marine is too big. I have decided to carry a potty because I go on long trips with women, and they refuse to go without a potty.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Posted By: jonr

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 02:27 AM

You have two choices, get someone who doesn't need a potty or get a bigger boat.
Posted By: Brian_Mc

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 05:17 AM

Buy them wet suits from NRS that have relief zippers, so they can get rrelief off the side of the boat!
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 05:31 AM

I have tried those wetsuits, and they refuse to GO in public. That is why the portapotty.
Posted By: Aggie97

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 12:31 PM

This thread is one of the last topics I ever expected to see here!

Be sure to post pictures after you do it, ought to be good for laughs and a few discussions down the road.
Posted By: Mary

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 12:40 PM

Seems like using a porta-potti on deck would be a lot more "public" than hanging over the side of the boat. Were you planning on hanging a curtain around it, too?
Posted By: Berthos

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hob - 03/30/03 12:47 PM

What about just cutting a hole in the trampoline and getting them to sit on the hole?

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 01:01 PM

I think it is a dangerous precedent to set. Once one woman gets a potty, we're all going to want one.
Posted By: Kevin Rose

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 01:47 PM

Seems like using a porta-potti on deck would be a lot more "public" than hanging over the side of the boat. Were you planning on hanging a curtain around it, too?

Here ya go:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 05:43 PM

Oh, it's adorable! I have to have one! But will it fit under the boom?
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 09:02 PM

Okay, here's how to do it. This is one of the best kept secrets in all the catsailing world. In fact, I'm surprised this how-to info is not more readily available.

Best place to mount it on the H16 is on the tramp just aft of the mast (**with the portopotty user facing aft**). This works for most commercially available portopotty units. You'll need some 1.5" long nuts/bolts (SS recommended), galvanized water heater mounting straps (bolts should just fit through the holes), rubber washers, epoxy, 4 2x4s, 8" lag bolts, tie down straps, heavy bailing wire, and an opaque shower curtain. The portopotty should be empty for the installation process--it's lighter that way.

First, you need a firm platform for the portopotty. Mount the 2x4s across the tramp just aft of the front crossbar and back about 18-20"; this give the portapotty a good foothold. Use two 2x4s above the crossbars and two below; "sandwich" the crossbars with the 2x4s and attach boards with the lag bolts. Next, place the unit on the boards and center it. Epoxy the head of two bolts onto the front facing side of the unit. Bend the water heater strap around the base of the mast to form a U-shaped bracket. Then bend the ends out so you can bolt the strap to the epoxied bolts,using the rubber washers to act as bushings. Make and bolt another strap around the mast about 5-6' up. Make a loop with the heavy wire, feed the opaque shower curtain on it and fasten this to the strap on the mast. This is the privacy curtain. Use the tie down straps to hold the unit in place (and keep the lid down) when not in use.

Good luck with this noble project.
Posted By: Andrew

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/30/03 11:53 PM

Attach two 2x4's to the underside of the crossbars, extending 18" in front of the beam. Attach seat to the top of the two planks, and let 'er rip. Or get different crew, that will 1. Go over the side, or 2. Get in the water and go.
Have fun, and DEFINITELY post pictures!
sail fast
Posted By: Jake

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/31/03 03:11 AM

ohhhh- but the windage....and then you have to worry about the drag of that tent in the wind!

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/31/03 11:43 AM

I was on a trip recently with a woman who had adapted to outdoor potty needs by learning to pee while standing. Don't know if there was anything unique about the plumbing, but she'd just stand up, move here bathing suit out of the way, and pee over the side. (Granted, there was a bit of spray, but, given the alternatives, she didn't seem to mind.)

Maybe she can teach a "How to Pee at Sea" clinic someday.

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/31/03 12:43 PM

Actually, a long time ago I saw advertised a little, plastic device called a Urinator, which kind of rerouted things and did indeed make it possible for a woman to pee standing up. I had thought about getting one, but then I stopped seeing it advertised. Anybody know if the thing still exists?
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/31/03 03:12 PM

Simple, get a Hobie on Steroids like a Stiletto 27 . A little harder to trailer though.

On the porta potty thing. You would only need the top half of the unit. You are sitting in water if you need for flushing. Mount it in front of the beam like the Kat Kooler brackets, a big beach towel will work for the privacy curtain. Or she can sit on the tramp and pee thru the lacing. Bathing suit aside, pee, then the built in bidet (?sp) does the rest. Beach towel works here too.

JMO

Clayton
S27, H16
Posted By: Mark L

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/31/03 06:43 PM

The commercial "Honey Buckets" float quite well, as shown in the movie "Cast Away". Obtain two, remove the frame, mast and rig from your Hobie, and mount on top of the two honey buckets. Be sure to mount doors up, and seal vents well. Some additional PVC plumbing will be needed to get the seats vertical.

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/31/03 06:54 PM

Actually, a long time ago I saw advertised a little, plastic device called a Urinator, which kind of rerouted things and did indeed make it possible for a woman to pee standing up. I had thought about getting one, but then I stopped seeing it advertised. Anybody know if the thing still exists?

Yup.

It even comes in a disposable version.

[Linked Image]
Uri-mate urination funnel

Or, for a full discussion of the topic, visit the web site The Female Urinal. You'll see a page listed called, "Upright Urination". It is, however, still under construction.
Posted By: unlvrebel

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/31/03 11:12 PM

Come on! Is this an early April Fool's joke or what? You've GOT to be kidding me.

What blows me away even more is that someone had the knowledge to post a SOLUTION.

Absolutely incredible.

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/31/03 11:24 PM

Hey, haven't you noticed how few women are sailing these days? This might be the problem.

Actually, it tends to be a problem for getting women to go out on race committee boats, too. This is something that definitely needs to be addressed!
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/31/03 11:31 PM

What needs to be addressed is the Wetsuit/harness/got to piss scenario.

Man I've been seen running full speed from my beached boat to the woods whilst shedding layers many times.

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 03/31/03 11:43 PM

Yeah, but men are not known for their modesty.

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 04/01/03 12:08 AM

I feel dirty, I pissed in the woods right in front of the park ranger once.

He didn't like that to much
Posted By: EFindley

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hob - 04/01/03 12:45 AM

If this is truly a problem, try a pilots (airplane) shop. There you should be able to find a pilots relief tube. Depending on the manhood of the pilot they come in different sizes. I think they also make a female version that sort of resembles a narrow oxygen mask with a long tube. Of course she would have no more modesty after use.

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hob - 04/01/03 01:38 AM

If this is truly a problem, try a pilots (airplane) shop. There you should be able to find a pilots relief tube. Depending on the manhood of the pilot they come in different sizes. I think they also make a female version that sort of resembles a narrow oxygen mask with a long tube. Of course she would have no more modesty after use.

Wow. You mean I can run the tube out the latex ankle seal of my drysuit? Cool!
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 04/01/03 07:41 AM

Come on! Is this an early April Fool's joke or what? You've GOT to be kidding me.
What blows me away even more is that someone had the knowledge to post a SOLUTION.

Absolutely incredible.

Pleeeeease. I thought it was a joke too. Hope nobody took my solution seriously...
Posted By: Kris Hathaway

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 04/01/03 01:06 PM

Sounds like someone is looking for a 2nd house tax right off.

Kris
Posted By: Greg

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 04/01/03 02:06 PM

Of course everyone knows that the modest cruiser carries a poncho for people who want to be discreet. You can always claim that it is emergency gear. I saw a neat porta potty at www.thepett.com
Greg
H14, H16
Posted By: hobiegary

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 04/01/03 05:08 PM

they refuse to GO in public. That is why the portapotty.

Judging by that statement, you are seeking an entire portapotty/outhouse that has four walls and a doorway. But if you are willing to stay on one side of trampoline while the women are on the opposite side, you might want to try the method shown here.
[Linked Image]

Attached picture 18161-waterbag.jpg
Posted By: catman

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 04/02/03 04:03 AM

Mary, that little device you speak of can be found at www.Campmor.com.

Mike
Posted By: jmhoying

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 04/02/03 04:09 AM

Actually Mary, we saw those devices in the kayak store that's just South of your house.
Jack & Brenda
Posted By: Aggie97

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 04/02/03 04:33 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hobie - 04/02/03 04:35 AM

AH, a true poop chute.
Posted By: jwrobie

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hob - 04/02/03 06:15 PM

Attach two 2x4's to the underside of the crossbars, extending 18" in front of the beam. Attach seat to the top of the two planks, and let 'er rip. Or get different crew, that will 1. Go over the side, or 2. Get in the water and go.
Have fun, and DEFINITELY post pictures!
sail fast

If these women have any sense of modesty, they will not allow him to post pictures...

Jonathan

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hob - 04/02/03 06:22 PM

Don't worry, Jonathan; I think he was talking about pictures of the device, not of the users.

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hob - 04/02/03 06:25 PM

Whats modesty?!

Re: Anyone know how to mount a portopotty on a hob - 04/03/03 01:32 AM

A while back a guy was advertising a throne with a bag under. He was a hunter and he needed a place to go. His design had a reese hitch bar attached to the throne. This slipped into the reciever on his truck. He called it (you may have guessed by now) ...The Bumper Dumper. Perhaps something that attaches to the rear beam so you can dangle your feet while....you know.

Mike
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums