Catsailor.com

Who uses Cat Beach Wheels

Posted By: SingerIsland

Who uses Cat Beach Wheels - 05/23/03 03:49 AM

I wonder how many people use Cat Beach wheels. Are you going up and down dune lines or a flat run?

Posted By: vicatman

Re: Who uses Cat Beach Wheels - 05/23/03 05:14 AM

I use beach wheels all the time...even though my boat is close to the water...saves wear and tear on the hulls.

Attached picture 20016-cold water gear.jpg
Posted By: Pipo

Re: Who uses Cat Beach Wheels - 05/23/03 06:55 AM

I use a small trolley as I exclusively launch from a concrete slipway. Never tried it on sand. Did anybody use small wheel trolleys on sand? Does it work? Should I buy a big wheel one if I plan to launch from sand (Dart Hawk F18, 180kg)?

thanks,
phil
Posted By: Andrew

Re: Who uses Cat Beach Wheels - 05/23/03 07:10 AM

All serious racers that I know of use beach wheels. It saves dragging the boat on the beach, AND dunking the trailer in the water. This can be a big issue, even with galvanized trailers, when the sailing venue is saline. I've had my beach wheels three years, under two different boats, and the trailer has not been dunked during that time. They are insanely expensive, and they are worth it. Go get beach wheels!

Posted By: Jake

Re: Who uses Cat Beach Wheels - 05/23/03 01:32 PM

oh yeah - I can move my N6.0 around by myself with the wheels (as long as it's not too hilly). We use them everywhere to reduce wear on the boat and make moving the boat around much easier.
Posted By: flounder

Re: Who uses Cat Beach Wheels - 05/23/03 02:06 PM

At our beach we have a home made cat dolley which is free to use for everyone. Welded a square tube aluminum base with a 9' handle coming out the front. For ties we found some huge ATV wheels. A little carpet and a set of rollers... ended up costing $250.

I find it hilarious that you can go out and buy a new cat trailor for $400, but you will have a tough time finding a cat cart for the same price... I think the suppliers are making a mint on these things.

Posted By: arbo06

Re: Who uses Cat Beach Wheels - 05/23/03 10:48 PM

Amen! My wheels are 6 years old, I've never even had to repair them or even put air in them. Better then sliced bread or a back injury!
Posted By: BlowMe

Re: Who uses Cat Beach Wheels - 05/23/03 11:39 PM

Never leave home without them. Or deal with the dreaded oyster shell........ Ouch!!! Followed by an extensive and expensive bottom job.

AJ
Nacra 6.0 Express
Posted By: jcasto1

Re: Who uses Cat Beach Wheels - 05/27/03 04:18 PM

I always use them, except when launching from ramp with dock. On flat ground, or gentle beach, it is easy to move the boat single-handed. On steeper inclines or softer sand you may need a helper.
As the others have said, eliminating wear & tear on hulls is key.
They've been well worth the $$ I spent on them. I've done zero maintenance on the wheels in 8 years. They're in the sun constantly, the rubber is fine.
Posted By: Sycho15

Re: Who uses Cat Beach Wheels - 05/27/03 08:47 PM

My boat sits mast-up ~150 sandy feet from the water. I keep the wheels under it and can load the boat onto them and wheel it to the water's edge solo. Saves the bottoms and my back (G-Cat's don't drag well). Best $350 I ever spent. I've had them since '97 and never done anything but put air in them!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums