Catsailor.com

RC30

Posted By: Kevin Rose

RC30 - 06/11/03 09:04 PM

I ran into the guys on this boat while out sailing last Friday. Thought I'd post it so you could get a sense for the sailing venue up here at latitude 45.

Sure looks like a handfull going down the highway, though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hobie541

Re: RC30 - 06/12/03 05:13 AM

I know the guy who builds the RC30, and have seen his factory. What a cool guy and a cool place!

I've had him repair my Hobie 20 a couple times, and the previous owner used him as well. He does phenominal work! Absolutely flawless.

That boat looks like a lot fun, that's for sure!

Cheers!

Tim
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: RC30 - 06/12/03 12:11 PM

looks like the baby brother of afterburner.

I'd get in mucho trouble if I was at the helm of that thing

Re: RC30 - 06/12/03 01:51 PM

That boat looks like a lot fun, that's for sure!

Cheers!

Tim

Tim,

I was sailing a Menger 19 (gaff-rigged cat boat) at the time. I had a leg over the tiller, eathing a sandwich and drinking a beer. When High Strung Too crossed my stern there was a striking contrast between the two craft. Although I was really enjoying my idyllic afternoon in the ****, that boat looked like it would be a real rush. He keeps it about a mile down from where Felix (the cat) is moored. One of these days I'll have to get on board.
Posted By: brobru

Re: RC30 - 06/12/03 03:23 PM

Hello all,

Boy is that a beautiful rig,.....we need something like that down here!

3 weeks ago we brought our boats back from St. Thomas, we sailed a I-20 ( I rode on this one) and a I-17 ( my boat) across 35 miles of open Caribbean ocean,......I was dreaming of a cat this size........now I see it!

...plus I enjoy the corn fields in the background,.......I am originally from Ohio,....in the Caribbean 12 years......miss the farms, definately not the winters.........

Bruce
I-17Euro
'Love Never Fails"
St. Croix
US Virgin Islands

Re: RC30 - 06/12/03 03:58 PM

I've got to figure out how to get a job in the carribean
Posted By: pitchpoledave

Re: RC30 - 06/12/03 04:04 PM

Yes its a beautiful looking boat. Too bad it is so expensive.
Posted By: TheoA

Re: RC30 - 06/12/03 04:08 PM

what kind of $$ figures do those fetch?
Posted By: barjack

Re: RC30 - 06/12/03 11:05 PM

Hey Kevin-nice to see someone else who enjoys the "other kind of cat". I too sail a 6.0 and sail a Herrshoff America Catboat. It is really relaxing to come home from sailing the 6.0 and walk down to the marina with the wife, baby, and dog and climb on a design that has been around since the late 1800's. I guess we have the origanal sqauretops (well sort of). It has been a learning curve when it comes to the correct uses of the gaff rig (the first time I scantilized I thought I would shred the main). I have kept mine all original, no cam cleats, no electric, still run kerosene fresnell lights. Champlain must be a great area to overnight.
Posted By: brobru

Re: RC30 - 06/13/03 03:16 AM

...job,.......noooo, you come down here to sail everyday......

Bruce

Re: RC30 - 06/13/03 04:05 AM

brobru: gotta support the addiction somehow, unless FX-One's fall from the sky

Re: RC30 - 06/13/03 04:09 AM

Hey Kevin-nice to see someone else who enjoys the "other kind of cat". I too sail a 6.0 and sail a Herrshoff America Catboat. It is really relaxing to come home from sailing the 6.0 and walk down to the marina with the wife, baby, and dog and climb on a design that has been around since the late 1800's. I guess we have the origanal sqauretops (well sort of). It has been a learning curve when it comes to the correct uses of the gaff rig (the first time I scantilized I thought I would shred the main). I have kept mine all original, no cam cleats, no electric, still run kerosene fresnell lights. Champlain must be a great area to overnight.

They really are great designs, and that big "working" **** is great for the family. While Felix doesn't have much for high tech, she does have electric for the running lights and radio. I agree that the gaff rig is a different animal that requires a shift in thinking. (I like the idea of the "original squaretops".)

Lake Champlain is a great lake for sailing. Lots of history and historic boats. I work closely with the folks at the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum and a few of my good friends are boat builders. When not sailing or sea kayaking, my wife and I can also be found rowing replicas of circa 1875 pilot gigs (that have been built at the museum). We also still use an old Lightning (hull #3, belonging to the museum) that Olin Stephens came to talk about at last year's small boat show. Next week, I'll be helping one of my boatbuilder friends take a proa on its maiden voyage before he ships it off the the man in Chicago he built it for.

Any way to get on the water works for me
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums