Catsailor.com

tiller extensions

Posted By: av8or

tiller extensions - 06/13/03 01:43 PM

just wondering how many of you use adjustable compared to fixed length tiller extensions. What boat type do you have and if it is fixed length, how long (tiller ext that is)?
Posted By: Jake

Re: tiller extensions - 06/13/03 02:08 PM

I had a fixed length tiller extension on my TheMightyHobie18 and didn't like it because it continually caught waves and would get yanked out of my hand if we weren't trapezed. I have always had extendable sticks on my Nacras.
Posted By: RobLammerts

Re: tiller extensions - 06/14/03 10:27 AM

I use The arribastick for my Nacra 6.0 , had a fixed one on my Dart 18 but did not like it.
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: tiller extensions - 06/16/03 07:48 AM

I am running a fixed stick on my Tornado..... When I had a retractable stick I never retracted it, so my next one was fixed.

I always found you had too much on whilst racing to play with the stick...... When I'm not on the wire in the light stuff I sit right up the front and waves have not really been an issue for me.
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: tiller extensions - 06/16/03 01:47 PM

I use the Marstrom carbon extension on my Tornado. It works well. A nice part is that you can buy the individual components when you break something.

Once you get used to a variable extention it is hard to change. I am looking a broken pieces and thinking about a cut down version for my Laser.
Posted By: Andrew

Re: tiller extensions - 06/16/03 11:09 PM

I use adjustable ones exclusively, I did on both my Nacras (5.O and 5.5u) and have one on my P-19 now. I'm getting tired of Arriba sticks @ $100+ a copy tho; I tried an aluminum stick from Murray's once but broke it first regatta. I've heard of people using the adjustable paint-roller handles in fiberglass (price unknown) and I'm considering a telescoping aluminum boat hook (with minor modifications, of course) for my next stick. Good luck
Posted By: h17windbtch6333

Re: tiller extensions - 06/18/03 05:35 PM

I have pieced two together after breaking different parts of them. That's plactic hose, hose clamps and, yes, duct tape

Attached picture 21324-DCP_0061.JPG
Posted By: Jeffwsc17

Re: tiller extensions - 06/19/03 03:24 PM

I went the Home Depot paint roller extension (aluminum) route. It is twist lock (you can twist either way to lock it) and extendable to 12 feet (I cut it to 10). Put a fitting I got from my dealer (a Murray's part) on one end and my old mountain bike grips on the other end and voila! a reasonably priced replacement.....the only problem is it bends easily but also bends back just as easily. At least when it bends it doesn't crack like my old fiberglass ones.
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: tiller extensions - 06/19/03 03:28 PM

If you are having trouble with breakage, try the magnum version. It is more flexible and seems to last longer.

Andrew, I am having a half price sale on hotsticks. I think I have every size except the magnum. I want the stuff I can't use out of my garage.
Posted By: Andrew

Re: tiller extensions - 06/20/03 04:58 AM

I wanna! I'll check which one I have, and get back to you. I'll be at leukemia cup this weekend, if you'd like a call message me here or email blackdog@icsi.net
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums