Catsailor.com

Hobie 14 Turbo jib sheets

Posted By: h17racer

Hobie 14 Turbo jib sheets - 08/21/03 03:18 PM

Ideas will be appreciated on this one.

Just purchased a 14 Turbo as my son's first cat. Sailed it myself this past weekend in 20-30 mph gusty winds. The jib blocks on that boat are stationary and located on the tramp. Experienced one heck of a problem with the jib sheet regularly hanging up and wedging itself into the mast base socket during a tack. The other hang up area is on the cleat located on the front of the mast.

Needless to say this creates some real exciting moments as you come out of a tack.

Anyone out there run into a similar situation and find a reliable solution?

Thx, Tom G

Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Hobie 14 Turbo jib sheets - 08/21/03 04:24 PM

Run a bungee from one side of the from cross beam to the mast about 18-24 in up from the base to the other end of the front cross beam. Or from the mast, about 2 ft from the base to where the briddle connects to the forestay. The jib sheets go over this bungee.

The locations are approximate. experiment before you drill any holes. These are standard method used on many boats.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Hobie 14 Turbo jib sheets - 08/21/03 04:56 PM

you can see an example of such a bunji here (green bunji): I don't believe you have diamond wires like in this picture but if you simply mount an eye to the mast it will give you a place to attach the center of the bunji.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: h17racer

Re: Hobie 14 Turbo jib sheets - 08/22/03 09:51 PM

Hey guys, thanks a bunch. Had no idea it was a standard protocol. Sailing my H17 Uni no such problem exits, sailing my H16, also no such problem. Life is a forever learning experience!

Again, thanks.

Sail fast, Tom G
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums