Catsailor.com

Boxing and Shipping sails via UPS

Posted By: h17racer

Boxing and Shipping sails via UPS - 11/18/03 07:16 PM

Having a heck of a time locating a shipping box for an H17 sail I need to UPS to Florida. Any of your folks know of sources or build your own ideas.

Thx, Tom G
H17 USA*190
Posted By: Dan Berger

Re: Boxing and Shipping sails via UPS - 11/18/03 07:44 PM

I ship a BUNCH of sails--the best thing I have found are the thick plastic bags that textiles are shipped in. I have a local source for the bags who builds boat tops. You can also check with a tent/awning maker. I usually double-bag the sails if I ship them this way. By your loginID, it sounds like you may be shipping 17 sails and they are probably Mylar so you probably need more protection. In that case, check out a carpet store for some tubes that the carpet comes rolled on. You can also flag down a contractor that is installing siding. Those boxes are perfect. I have been in Home Depot and Lowes and they have given me boxes for the siding, too. There are two issues with using boxes and tubes, they are heavy so it will be more to ship them and you may exceed the shipping company's maximum shipping dimensions. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Boxing and Shipping sails via UPS - 11/18/03 07:53 PM

fold the sail so it fits in a largish regular box. Then ship the battens separately in a cardboard tube.
Posted By: tbarton

Re: Boxing and Shipping sails via UPS - 11/19/03 03:32 AM

I have used the box that fluorescent light bulbs come in to ship a h20 main before. Tucker
Posted By: Disc20

Re: Boxing and Shipping sails via UPS - 11/20/03 02:19 PM

The battens are your problem. UPS will charge you an arm, leg and your first born if it's over 48 liniar inches.

Roll the sail. Go to Home Depot and buy hardwood floor pads. It's a green foam pad used under Pergo type flooring. It's very tough, weighs nothing and is fairly cheap. Next stop on your shopping spree is to Staples to by shipping plastic cling wrap.

Wrap that puppy up. Stroll down to your local post office. Insure it at C+I+F + 10%. (replacement cost of goods, Insurance cost and freight costs).

Mail it.

If you know the weight you can go to USPS.com to figure out the cost.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums