Catsailor.com

weight

Posted By: theboss

weight - 07/16/04 03:10 PM

hi everyone,
I am starting up this new thread about the weight of cats. If you could spare some of your time to coment on how the weight of the cats affect their performance then I would be very grateful.

regards
Tom
Posted By: Jake

Re: weight - 07/16/04 05:12 PM

More weight is slow. Less weight is fast. (sorry - it's Friday).

Posted By: grob

Re: weight - 07/16/04 05:22 PM

Hang on jake that can't be right, Playstation is much heavier and faster than my Hobie 16.
Posted By: Mary

Re: weight - 07/16/04 05:24 PM

Jake, not always. Sometimes a heavier boat does better in light air and chop. And a heavier boat is more stable and able to use more of its power in strong winds.

Re: weight - 07/16/04 05:43 PM

hey...it's friday...get off me!

Perhaps relative speed is, instead, in direct proportion to the amount of carbon fiber used?
Posted By: Mary

Re: weight - 07/16/04 06:02 PM

In other words, if you have two carbon fiber boats, the boat with the most carbon fiber will be the fastest? And also the heaviest?

Re: weight - 07/16/04 06:48 PM

hmmmm....perhaps I made an error
Posted By: Eric Anderson

Re: weight - 07/16/04 07:41 PM

I think you can argue that more or less weight is faster under different conditions. My personal opinion is that lighter boats are almost always more fun to sail. Is an A class cat faster then an nacra 5.5 uni? Yes. Is it more fun to sail? Hell Yes. Is an F18 HT faster then a F18? Most of the time. Is it more fun to sail? You bet.

I am done sailing overweight beasts.

Eric Anderson
A class US 128

Re: weight - 07/16/04 08:04 PM

So that's it! Fun is a direct function to the amount of carbon fiber! (ok, ok, I'll quit now).

Just waiting for the weekend!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums