Catsailor.com

PRICE

Posted By: theboss

PRICE - 08/01/04 12:38 PM

Hello everyone,
I am currently in the middle of a school project on catamarans and I have to carry out market research. I'm looking to find out how much are catsailors are willing to pay for a cat. It doesn't have to be a particlure cat, I just researching what is the maximum amount of money that you will fork out for a catamaran. any help would be appreciated
Tom.
Posted By: Robi

Re: PRICE - 08/01/04 05:21 PM

I would personally fork out 8k to 10k for a newer boat. Newer as in maybe younger than a 98. And in the 18ft to 20ft range. It would have to be F18, F20 or even if I can find a sweet sweet F16.

I am currently looking around as well.
Posted By: Sycho15

Re: PRICE - 08/01/04 09:31 PM

I can only afford $5k or less for a boat. Fortunately I can find almost any boat in that price range, from Reynolds 21s to Hobie Miracles to Tornados.

Hopefully it won't cost me any more than that to build my Formula 14 catamaran from scratch.
Posted By: Jake

Re: PRICE - 08/01/04 10:25 PM

You'll probably need to narrow down your question somewhat. People are paying anywhere between $200 and $20,000 for catamarans. Different folks, different financial considerations, different needs, different desires, etc. I just bought a brand new Nacra F18 but I'm not sure how that answers your inquiry.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 01:42 AM

I suddenly find myself in the cat market and plan on spending around $15,000 for a new or relatively new boat with trailer and most options.
Posted By: SOMA

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 02:41 AM

I wouldn't spend more than 5 thousand tops on a beach cat.
Posted By: thom

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 02:44 AM

My first cat [1968-9] I had 1/2 interest in, Part of which I paid for by delivering it from California to Texas. I hitched out to LA and rented a car, had a hitch put on it and brought it back. My car wouldn't make to LA and back and my partner couldn't leave his job for that long. $1250 my half, next [1973] was a Sol Cat 18 $2400 with trailer. Next [1973-74] was one of 2 Sail Craft of Canada Tornadoes I brought back from Montreal to Texas. $3300 total. Trailer was extra custom made junk [$750]. Next [1981] was an FMS 20 w/aluminum trailer $9000 I brought back from Jupiter, Fla. Next [2000] another 1980 FMS 20 w/aluminum trailer] $2500 - now being refinished and getting new sails] Next [2001]was an ARC22 w/trailer $28000 including delivery. Added a second set of sails [high wind] plus two spins [one asm, one roller furling] [$6000 for the three].

When I started sailing cats there were almost no used cats around so it was like buying a second car. Now you can get a used cat on a credit card...no loan officer, qualification application, noisy loan officer, etc.

fair winds,

thom

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 03:12 AM

It depends on what you want and what you can afford. Do you want something "hot" and ready to go, in great or perfect shape with every option including spin and trailer, upgraded sails an older boat that needs work and uses older technology like a prindle of beat up Hobie 16. Whats yer budget? Thats the real question, like the other posters have said , from $200 to $20,000.99, there is a cat for everyone.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 05:04 AM

I saw a $50,000 F18HT this year... it was pretty. Didn't make me love my $3,000 Mystere any less - got her when she was only a year old!

[Linked Image]

Eric - didn't you just get a slightly used but FREE power boat with a little gel coat damage? And I'd think the pain and suffering would put you in the market for more than $15K... seriously, hope you're back on the water soon.

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 11:39 AM

So Jake, How much did you spend on your new cat?
How much someone is "willing" to pay takes into account all those considerations.
There are some people who can afford the $ 20,000. cat but would only be willing to pay $5000. I myself couldn't justify paying 20k for a beach cat knowing there are so many great deals out there for a quarter of that price.

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 11:44 AM

Fred,
His question is "what is the maximum amount......"

But you are right, I have owned 3 cats. TheMightyHobie18, H21 SE, and the recently deceased H20, and paid a wide range of prices.

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 11:47 AM

Hey John,

Did you check out the damage photos on the CABB forum?

I don't see a settlement anytime soon. I'll have to sail OP's. (other peoples)

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 11:57 AM

Sure, But when we go buy something (like a cat) we usually pay the maximum amount we are "willing" to pay (based on our economics, needs, wants, etc.etc.) And usually a little bit more. But we rarely buy something paying much more than we are "willing" to pay. So the questions is, simply, "How much would you pay for a catamaran?

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 07:59 PM

Then I guess it depends on who "you" refers to and also what you plan on doing with the boat.

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 11:33 PM

I saw somewhere someone asked me what I paid for the F18. List price is $13,500 fully equiped with mid pole snuffer....and I didn't get a discount! :-) I probably wouldn't have paid much more for a new boat in my current situation. However, It's a fine deal after you've spent several years buying spare parts and know what they cost. The boat is fully rigged (except strangly a spinnaker tack cleat) and has the new 8:1 carbo ratchematic mainsheet system, carbo ratchematic spinnaker blocks, all line (although I'll probably upgrade some of it to more synthetic stuff), all shackles...ready to sail.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 11:40 PM

Damn Jake! SWEET!!!!
How does that boat do with 370lbs on it?
I love those sails. You must be ecstatic!
Coming to Tradewinds this year?

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 11:47 PM

Yeah I like 'em too. I got lucky that Weathermark Sailing had ordered this boat for their showroom last April - they took delivery on it last week! (how about that for timing!?). Mike Krantz put together the sail colors and he did a fine job. Apparently the beams and the mast were supposed to be black anodized but Performance was behind on custom anodizing. It may have looked good but I would rather not have to handle a 200 degree mast anyway.

Min crew weight is 315 with these larger sails (I think that's right) but I'll regularly be crewing it with 340 to 370.

You bet I'll be at Tradewinds! See you there on an F18 perhaps?

Re: PRICE - 08/02/04 11:49 PM

I think they took a long time on this order because the boat was not sold and didn't get production priority. I believe they do better for a 'sold' boat than the months it took for Weathermark to get this one because it was just for their show room.
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: PRICE - 08/03/04 02:08 AM

Congrats on a sweet new boat Jake!
Posted By: jfint

Re: PRICE - 08/03/04 05:20 AM

That is friggin sweet, I've been hoping to catch a look at one of those close up, but haven't had the chance. Hope you two will be happy together, lol.
Posted By: TSurfer

Re: PRICE - 08/03/04 03:39 PM

Jake - Congrats on your purchase!
She's beautiful. That's one of the nicest designs I've seen.
Let us know how she performs on the water.
Posted By: PRagen

Re: PRICE - 08/04/04 07:07 PM

Many of the cat sailors I know are in two catagories. There are many with the Catamaran Racing Association of the Chesapeake that buy the $15K cats for racing. Most of the local recreational sailors I know found or want to find a used Hobie 16 for 1-2K. My max was $5-6K for the boat I have now, and I am waiting for decent used A-cats to get to that range.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums