Cats can jump...

Posted By: RobLammerts

Cats can jump... - 09/19/04 05:57 PM

On many websites you see a picture of a Dart haw jumping,

Here is another one braking the surf
[img]http://www.catpoint.nl/fromdatabase2.asp?id=196[/img]
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/19/04 11:03 PM

Thats no Dart Hawk though, its a Nacra Inter 20.
The picture is from either the Worrell 1000 or Tybee 500.

-Tony_FX1
Hobie FX-One #104,
The Netherlands
Posted By: BrianK

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/20/04 01:05 AM

Thats Team Fully Involved, Les Baumann I believe.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/20/04 02:30 AM

Les Bauman and Mark Herendeen sailed together as "Fully Involved".
Posted By: Tornado

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/20/04 11:13 PM

not really jumping, but being toss up by the surf while trying to leave the beach. The Dart picture looks more like a full on launch of a swell top at top speed.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/21/04 12:03 AM

The picture I'm seeing is team Fully Involved in the infamous Worrell 1000 Jensen Beach stop. I think it was 2002?

A better photo (same year) can be found on team Castrol's site...
http://midasmiami.com/worrell1000/

and look at the one in the center. It always cracks me up... Remember boys and girls... That boat is 20 feet long.
Posted By: jmhoying

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/21/04 02:32 AM

I always liked this photo. Don't know anything about where or when it was taken.
[Linked Image]
Jack
Posted By: Wrinkledpants

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/21/04 03:16 AM

awwwwww yeah......

Attached picture 38490-Dart%20Hawk.jpg
Posted By: Wrinkledpants

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/21/04 03:18 AM

I'm sure this looks familiar. For some reason i think that might hurt a bit being out on the wire like that.

Attached picture 38491-hawaii.jpg
Posted By: Jake

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/21/04 03:29 AM

I've never seen such a high res version of that...man that's incredible! Notice that the crew's trap wire is completely slack (at the moment!)....OOOOOoooo my back!
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/21/04 07:11 AM

[Linked Image]

This is a very old picture. It has been around for years.

Is the TheMightyHobie18 picture taken from that video ?
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/21/04 02:17 PM

This just goes to prove what an old f--t I am:

The photo of the 18M going through the surf was taken at the 1993 Hobie "Multi-Nationals" in Jacksonville. The crew is Gigi Moore. I don't remember who she was sailing with, but I'll bet it's somewhere in a box in my basement.
Posted By: davidn

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/21/04 06:04 PM

I believe that the TheMightyHobie18 picture was taken when Hobie was doing the video in Hawaii featuring the TheMightyHobie18 sailing in big waves (also included a segment of sailing right up on the beach and into a tidal pool; wouldn't want to try that with a modern, light weight hull). I think Dean Froome was driving the boat. I noticed recently that he participated in one leg of an around Oahu race on a Hobie 20 Miracle. Since that video was done 30 years ago, he's got to be getting up there in years. I'm not sure I would take a beach cat out into the ocean to sail around the island of Oahu...pretty bold.

David
H20

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/21/04 07:12 PM

Those are SX wings on that 18. They weren't introduced until 1989.

They didn't have those back when they did the "Sharing the Wind" video with Dean Froome.

Besides, Gigi was NAHCA Chair back then. I was secretary/treasurer and newsletter editor. We used the photo in the NAHCA News.
Posted By: David Ingram

The other pic - 09/21/04 09:24 PM

Matt, he was talking about this pic:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dermot

Re: The other pic - 09/21/04 10:07 PM

I think that David was talking about the other picture, the 18 with sail number 1912
There is a photo of the same cat jumping waves in the 1979 book Hobie Cat sailing. It is an almost identical picture although the cat is facing the other way.
Posted By: mmiller

This one? - 09/22/04 12:03 AM

[Linked Image]

Sharing the Wind.

This is Dean Froome and JD Driscole off of Oahu. The movie was of the Hobie 18, 1978?. I went to the opening night in Newport (I think) California . Our fleet (Hobie fleet 4) rented a bus and went up. It was at a full size movie theater. A packed house of Hobie sailors. What a blast!

Remember "with a little help from Chili Dog"? Tripple Trapezeing? Dagger Board surfing? The crowd went nuts!

Dean works for Windward boats in Kailua, Ohau. Still selling Hobie Cats.
Posted By: dacarls

Re: Cats can jump... - 09/22/04 12:42 AM

To J. Hoying-- That great Hobie 18 Magnum pic crashing out thru the surf at Daytona Beach is of my buddies Kim Coffee and crew Gigi Moore (ex-Commodore of Division 8). They got out ok and raced, and didn't even turn over! Its a commercial photo about 1990.

Re: This one? - 09/22/04 12:45 AM

Sorry - I didn't see the "attachment" photo that was definitely from 'Sharing the Wind.' The 18SX going vertical was what I was referring to.

They showed that film in a classroom when I was in the Naval Architecture program at UofM - 1982'ish. The summer it came out I was working at the Hobie dealer in Richmond, VA - Trail 'n Sail. We sold a bunch of 18's from that video.
Posted By: hobiegary

Cats can jump..So that's why they call 'em Wings! - 09/22/04 03:48 AM

That is an honest to goodness "launch." Wings deployed and assisting in Take Off!
Posted By: Dermot

Re: This one? - 09/22/04 08:18 AM

Remember "with a little help from Chili Dog"? Tripple Trapezeing? Dagger Board surfing?

"SHEET IN AND MAX OUT" is the quote I remember from the video. We used that video at so many boat shows in the 80s.
Posted By: Blueblast

Re: This one? - 09/22/04 11:32 AM

Nacra fly too.

Attached picture 38548-f18_fly.jpg
Posted By: Blueblast

Re: This one? - 09/22/04 11:46 AM

Or www.jandeboer.com
Posted By: davidn

Re: This one? - 09/22/04 04:44 PM

OUCH!! That NACRA landing looks like it was a lot harder on skipper and crew. I wonder if they got back on the boat as the last frame shows them both off the stern in the air. I was amazed (still am) at how Froome and Driscoll stayed on the Hobie through repeated jumps in the video. I've had most of my H20 hulls out of the water in big waves but never the whole boat. It comes down hard enough without being totally airborn.

David
H20
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: This one? - 09/22/04 07:44 PM

They did stay with the boat and carried on.

The sailors are Hugh Styles and Adam May (UK Tornado) who did not qualify for the Games.

Posted By: macca

Re: This one? - 09/23/04 04:49 AM

Nope, its not Styles and May, its Bundy and Gunnar, doing a race in New Cal a couple of years ago.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums