Catsailor.com

Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique

Posted By: Anonymous

Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/01/01 07:02 PM

Be gentle now! This is a design for a 12x18 flag that can fly on a car staff for the Hobie Wave Class.
<br>Two things:
<br>1) Would there be any interest in them at a reasonable price?
<br>2) Is the design OK? Please Critique gently! There are two versions here and which would be best, if either?
<br>
<br>This is an idea Mary and I had a few years ago (class flag flying off vans and cars heading to regattas, but the classes were acting strange about it, so we dropped the idea)
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>Thanks,
<br>Rick<br><br>Rick White
<br>Catamaran Sailor Magazine
<br>email: rick@catsailor.com
Posted By: Sailortect

Re: Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/01/01 07:10 PM

I feel a bit shaky giving a crit on this, since I've never sailed a wave, but here's a disinterested 3rd-party design reaction:
<br>
<br>Lose the "shadow" of the Wave text. It takes away from the clarity of the text. (besides.... what's the shadow on? the sky?)
<br>
<br>Make the blue ocean wave bigger. in the scale of things, the text is too dominant.
<br>
<br>less serious: show the boat profile somewhere.
<br>
<br>In general, I like the idea of flying a class flag on the way to a regatta! almost makes me wish I had a boat with a one-design following!<br><br>

Attached File
2893-  (15 downloads)
Posted By: Jake

Re: Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/02/01 12:11 AM

cool idea!<br><br>[color:blue][b]Jake
<br>[color:blue][b]Nacra 5.2 (2112)
<br>[color:blue][b]Hobie 18 (???)

Attached File
2915-  (16 downloads)
Posted By: ScaredyCat

Re: Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/02/01 01:04 AM

Love it...I agree with the other poster about getting rid of the shadow effect...other than that I think it's awesome!
<br>
<br>SC<br><br>

Attached File
2920-  (15 downloads)
Posted By: Tom Korz

Re: Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/02/01 01:55 AM

Flame away!! But I think that you are missing something very importatnt about the Wave. Put an H somewhere in the design!!<br><br>

Attached File
2921-  (15 downloads)
Posted By: H17cat

Re: Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/02/01 03:41 AM

Great Idea, but will the Flag hold up? Perhaps we just too fast in the Northwest. How about a sign for the back of the sail box? Agree with the comment to lose the shadow.
<br>cat<br><br>

Attached File
2924-  (17 downloads)
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/02/01 12:22 PM

If you guys drive too fast, you can get some suction cups and with a grommet in the corners stick it to the inside of the windows. Now try to blow it off!!!
<br>
<br>I think a sail with an "H" or some outline of the boat would be nice. We know what it is but you want to convey to others what we are doing. ie. sailing
<br>
<br>just my 1.5 cents worth
<br>
<br>Clayton<br><br>

Problem with the "H" - 10/02/01 03:35 PM

When Mary and I made an attempt at the flag thing before we were faced with royalties to be paid for using company logos which would put the cost out of proportion. That is the reason we dropped it. The only classes that would allow their logos were really small classes and the numbers and money would not be there -- and we are not even talking about profit.., just costs!
<br>No Free Lunches, as they say.
<br>
<br>Thanks for the critiques on the design. I must agree about the shadows, but it was a new discovery I found in my software and wanted to try it. Does make the thing too busy, however. Now I have to figure out IF I can delete them -- maybe I can make them much lighter (that was Mary's suggestion).
<br>Thanks again,

Attached File
2937-  (15 downloads)
Posted By: H17cat

Re: Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/02/01 03:54 PM

Clayton, great idea. This would double as a sun screen on the occasional days when we see the sun. cat<br><br>

Attached File
2938-  (15 downloads)
Posted By: tami

Re: Problem with the "H" - 10/02/01 04:02 PM

Although the Flying H is copyrighted, the profile of the boat isn't. Do a silhouette of the boat shape, how about that? Maybe behind the whole thing, kind of like...
<br>
<br><br><br>
Posted By: Greg

Re: Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/02/01 05:25 PM

I pick the first image because the letters are uplifiting. Seems more positive. The letters in the second image trail downward and that is somewhat depressing.
<br>Greg,
<br>H14,H16<br><br>
Posted By: EdgarAPoe

Re: Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/03/01 12:08 PM

Nicely Done! I like them all and I like the idea of flying flags. I wonder if all of us would be interested also in a generic "Cat" flag -- that way you wouldn't have to worry about legalities like H, or N, or P, or I, etc.
<br>
<br>Whatcha say folks -- would that be cool -- all of us flying flags while going to regattas and pulling our cats.
<br>Evermore,
<br>Edgar<br><br>

Attached File
2952-  (17 downloads)
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Car Flag for Wave Class Design Critique - 10/03/01 12:13 PM

Thats not a bad Idea, it would also help quantity sales. I think that didn't get much of a response last time and it kind of died. Rick, just a thought, would these be made from a screen like they do on "T" shirts? If so then the generic form could be made in some quantity and the specific class designation (if someone wants it) could be added as an overlay. Again looking at quantitys to help out with pricing.
<br>
<br>Clayton<br><br>

Well, here is one with the boat outline! - 10/03/01 02:27 PM

At any rate, I just threw this together.
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>

Attached File
2957-  (17 downloads)
Posted By: Sailortect

Re: Well, here is one with the boat outline! - 10/03/01 06:02 PM

Better, but I still think the boat needs more Punch.
<br>
<br>Great stuff, Rick! This has the potential to become much more than a trailering flag.
<br>
<br>You're creating an Icon.<br><br>

Attached File
2961-  (18 downloads)

Re: Well, here is one with the boat outline! - 10/04/01 02:55 AM

I think it has a lot of potential.
<br>
<br> If you darkened the sky backgroud, and darkened the blue of the ocean, it would have more punch. The boat would stand out and the lettering at the bottom would be easier to read.
<br>
<br>Good job.<br><br>

Attached File
2967-  (17 downloads)

One More Design - 10/08/01 05:36 PM

Reversed the colors and directions on the letters
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>Thanks,