Catsailor.com

Taipan sailors face a Tiger!

Posted By: David Parker

Taipan sailors face a Tiger! - 12/15/04 09:36 PM

In November Jennifer Lindsay and Kelly Gray won the Alter Cup area D qualifier sailing a Taipan 4.9. To prepare for the Alter Cup race (April 2005) they have been sailing the larger Hobie Tiger. Last weekend they won the Dunedin Winter Dash on their Tiger while their friends Seth Stern and Gordon Isco took second on a Taipan 4.9. When setting up the boat Jennifer commented on how heavy the Tiger is, weighing in at nearly 400 pounds compared to her Taipan at only 240 pounds. When it came time to pack up the boat I took the attached photo of these four Taipan sailors coming to grips with dropping the heavy Tiger mast. I had to laugh.

Speaking for all the Dunedin locals, good luck to Jennifer and Kelly at the Alter cup!

Attached picture 41364-Taipan folks on a Tiger.jpg
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Taipan sailors face a Tiger! - 12/15/04 09:57 PM

I have to remain neutral in my capacity as a member of the committee that puts on the Alter Cup each year, but I can say that I'm excited to be from Area D South, and to have Jennifer and Kelly representing our area in the finals. Last year, Annie Nelson and Kathy Kulkoski (what we think was the very first women's team in the event's history) finished in second, only two points out of first. There are talented women in our sport - I'm glad to see some of them in the finals again this year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Taipan sailors face a Tiger! - 12/15/04 10:04 PM

Helps if you de-tension the rig before you try to take the mast down

/damn mast is heavy, though.
Posted By: dacarls

Re: Taipan sailors face a Tiger! - 12/15/04 10:46 PM

Like I said before- 3 Hobbits at work! (Speaking as one myself) 8^)

Hey, I've seen Jennifer rockin' on her Taipan; she has a good chance. (Lest ye forget- A-class NAs, 2003: "The Lesson" by Pease Glaser)
Posted By: JenniferL

Re: Taipan sailors face a Tiger! - 12/16/04 12:07 AM

Just to clarify things a little. The boat is used and has a broken mast base. Kelly and I needed help lowering the mast to make sure the mast didn't jump off the ball and damage the boat or anyone near by. On my Taipan, I can raise and lower the mast by myself using the trailer winch and I intend to rig up the same for the Tiger when I can find the time.

Jennifer Lindsay
Taipan 4.9 #262
Tiger #870
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Taipan sailors face a Tiger! - 12/16/04 02:19 AM

What I find amazing is that my boy Trey can heft up the Nacra 6.0 mast (weighting in at like 68lbs or something) by himself from the mast base.

Not only that but he can bearclaw the forestay and have the rig tensioned when its connected to the bridle.

I think he nearly went pole vaulting with the N20 mast the first time.
Posted By: macca

Re: Taipan sailors face a Tiger! - 12/16/04 03:25 AM

Every time I see a pic of you seppo's putting a mast up the boat is always on the trailer, That has to be the single hardest way to put a mast up I have ever seen! Why don't you put the boat on the sand and make it easy on yourselves??

Re: Taipan sailors face a Tiger! - 12/16/04 07:21 AM

I don't see how its any different.

Except you just don't get a big of a lift from the guy in the back.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Taipan sailors face a Tiger! - 12/16/04 03:33 PM

It makes a big difference.

Where does the mast feel heaviest when you start stepping it?
Posted By: Jake

Re: Taipan sailors face a Tiger! - 12/16/04 03:44 PM

That is...unless you use the winch on the trailer!
Posted By: David Parker

Seppo steps his mast? - 12/16/04 04:54 PM

Seppo??? I had to look it up...

What's a "Seppo"?
"Seppo" is Australian rhyming slang for "American". It works like this:

-- American, goes to...
-- Yankee, goes to...
-- Yank, goes to...
-- Septic Tank, goes to...
-- Seppo

It is a word that can be used as a teasing term of endearment. It is more often used to single out the subject -- whether as a group or as an individual -- for ridicule and shame.

So....shame on us trailer-stepping seppos!
Posted By: samevans

Re: your opinion - 12/17/04 05:34 AM

Macca,
ya bladdy whinging Pom, you have no idea of the conditions at most American regattas.

Most of the time we have to rig the boat, on the trailer, in a parking lot and Cat Trax it down to the beach.
Most of us travel with our wires on.
Many of us also travel with our rudders on.
I know of one Tiger sailor who installed a bracket on his trailer mast support in order to travel with his spin pole rigged.
He has cut his rigging time in half.

We often have a lack of beach space for boats at our regattas.
Rolling boats in on Cat Traxs takes up far less room than bringing in hulls first and then stepping masts in the middle of a crowded beach.

One person is able to step the mast on the trailer, pull the boat off onto the Cat Trax, roll it down to the beach and rig the sails.

It is much more work to unload the mast, find a SAFE PLACE(YES, I have seen a mast run over by a car)to put it, unload the hulls and roll/carry them to the beach, unload and untangle the various wires, place the mast on the boat, attach the wires to the mast and boat, step the mast, attach the trapeze bungies and rig the sails.

It looks like YOU are doing it the "hard way".

Re: your opinion - 12/17/04 06:39 AM

it could just be that we're naturally stronger than our international counterparts and therefore don't really care about doing things the "easy way". Everyway is the easy way for us :P
Posted By: Mary

Re: your opinion - 12/17/04 03:14 PM

In many cases, sailors like to keep their boat attached to their vehicle as long as possible, because the rigging (and derigging) ritual is combined with a tailgate party, and the key to a successful tailgate party is the cooler of beer that rests just inside the tailgate of the vehicle. It greatly increases rigging time if you first put the boat on the beach and then have to make several trips between boat and tailgate.

I hope this clears it up.
Posted By: mmiller

Re: your opinion - 12/17/04 08:38 PM

Pom? Sam, Macca is an Aussie! Not a Brit...

Macca, had any crok pizza lately?

For the Alter Cup, we will be sure to have the rigs up for all you lightweights out there.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: your opinion - 12/17/04 09:07 PM

<**** in a frog on a rock.

Wouter

Re: your opinion - 12/17/04 09:51 PM

Wouter

Uhhhh.... what did you say?

Re: your opinion - 12/17/04 11:41 PM

A guy in a dress on a piece of barren land.

Comes from the movie "Priscilla, Queen of the desert."

A must see for liberals and even more so for conservatives. Just don't let your local clergic find this tape in your home. You'll never hear the end of it. A great movie about being who or what you are and the outside world that may have a different perspective on that particular subject. Can you tell I'm a liberal Dutch man ?

Wouter

Re: your opinion - 12/18/04 12:00 AM

Had Croc pizza on Thursday night, same place I took Jaques and Greg the last time there were downunder! Awesome stuff

And the correct saying is: "going off like a frog in a sock"

Re: your opinion - 12/18/04 12:31 AM

Had Croc pizza on Thursday night, same place I took Jaques and Greg the last time there were downunder! Awesome stuff

So let me see if have this right:

"going off like a frog in a sock" is the same thing as a "a guy in a dress on a piece of barren land"

WTF guys?
Posted By: mmiller

Re: your opinion - 12/18/04 12:31 AM

Jacques and I! Greg was sleeping.
Posted By: jfint

Re: your opinion - 12/18/04 12:38 AM

I'm with Dave, you guy s are on a whole other level of slang and cussing.
Posted By: Dermot

Re: your opinion - 12/18/04 12:50 AM

I think that it's actually a FROCK not a frog. A frock is a dress.
Posted By: Tornado

Re: your opinion - 12/18/04 01:13 AM

Umm, shouldn't that be "...CANE TOAD in a sock"??

Mike.

Re: your opinion - 12/18/04 01:16 AM

A guy in a dress on a piece of barren land.

Comes from the movie "Priscilla, Queen of the desert."

A must see for liberals and even more so for conservatives. Just don't let your local clergic find this tape in your home. You'll never hear the end of it. A great movie about being who or what you are and the outside world that may have a different perspective on that particular subject. Can you tell I'm a liberal Dutch man ?

Wouter

Wouter, you may be a Liberal Dutchman, but how do you feel about Ping Pong balls?
(those who've seen this movie will be ROTFLTAO )

Yep, you've seen this movie - 12/18/04 01:58 AM

Indeed ping pong balls !

You've have certainly seen this particular movie !

Do you also remember the name "RALPH !"

Wouter

Re: Yep, you've seen this movie - 12/18/04 02:23 AM

Indeed ping pong balls !

You've have certainly seen this particular movie !

Do you also remember the name "RALPH !"

Wouter

Got me there...I'll have to re-watch it the next time it comes on the tube.

Re: Yep, you've seen this movie - 12/18/04 02:33 AM

May be a while before you see it on the tube.

From IMDB.com:

Plot Summary for
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

Two drag-queens (Anthony/Mitzi and Adam/Felicia) and a transexual (Bernadette) contract to perform a drag show at a resort in Alice Springs, a resort town in the remote Australian desert. They head west from Sydney aboard their lavender bus, Priscilla. En route, it is discovered that the woman they've contracted with is Anthony's wife. Their bus breaks down, and is repaired by Bob, who travels on with them.

Rated R
Posted By: samevans

Re: you don't get it - 12/18/04 08:15 AM

Matt,
You missed the point completely.
Call a Scot or Welshman "English" to his face and see what happens.

Re: Yep, you've seen this movie - 12/18/04 12:58 PM

It is the real name of the transsexual and makes him mad as hell if you use it.

Felicity teases him with it all the time.

Wouter

Re: you don't get it - 12/18/04 02:32 PM

I didn't miss the point, Sam - I was just pointing out to Mike that it's unlikely to see this risque movie on network television anytime soon. (Maybe cable, though.)

Being of English decent, I know all too well the hazards of addressing the Scots and Welsh by anything other than their true nationality.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: your opinion - 12/18/04 02:41 PM

Mary,
You have hit the nail on the head. Tailgate set up is critical, cooler, toolbox, spare parts, and stereo.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: your opinion - 12/18/04 02:49 PM

Spin pole accessory.

Attached picture 41520-DCP_0461.jpg

Re: your opinion - 12/19/04 04:59 AM

Jacques and I! Greg was sleeping.

[censored]! it was too, It's been way too long!

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums