Catsailor.com

I17R TWO-UP ?

Posted By: Thomm225

I17R TWO-UP ? - 01/23/05 03:40 PM

Has anyone tried sailing the I17R with two sets of trap wires and the jib? I would really like to try it when we have big wind ..............

Tom Turlington
I17R #124
Posted By: brobru

Re: I17R TWO-UP ? - 01/23/05 05:10 PM

Tom,

I put another set of trap wires on this year.

The plan was to get a 'light' body onboard in the BIG winds.

Plus, am sorting out a BIG wind( 20 mph) asymetrical spin system now,......went with the Hooter configuration,..working with Rick on it,.....maybe by the middle of the year,....definately not set for now.

...I look at the I-17 as a 18HT minus 7 inches

...jib?,..I suppose that would 'turbo' the rig,....but you would point like a normal(main and jib) cat then,.....which, as you know,..is nothing to write home about(when compared to the Uni)..

regards,

Bruce
St. Croix
Posted By: Thomm225

Re: I17R TWO-UP ? - 01/23/05 06:45 PM

Bruce,

I guess my main concern is the carbon fiber mast on the 17R. I'm thinking it would be okay with the opposite shroud supporting the added trap weight............but I would feel a lot better knowing someone had already tested it.

I'm not sure if the 17R mast is the same mast as the I-20 only shorter. I have heard both that it was and that it wasn't. Never actually compared the two.

Tom
Posted By: brobru

Re: I17R TWO-UP ? - 01/23/05 08:24 PM

Tom,

That is an interesting question,...that deserves a good answer.

I would contact the Cathouse people up in Michigan on that one. (www.cathouse1.com).

They handle plenty of both. ( 20 and 17)

Tell us the answer when you find out!

Bruce
St. Croix
Posted By: Mike

Re: I17R TWO-UP ? - 01/24/05 02:52 PM

Sails great with two traps. When the heavy weather hits my buddy gets out on the wire too and we are smokin! No breaks or cracks in the mast just alot of fun.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums