Catsailor.com

Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls

Posted By: dave mosley

Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/28/05 04:08 AM

Check out the new SW for stories from JC, Steve and Kenny and all the cool pics from the T500/OBX500. Great shots and good stories. Distance Cat sailing has made its mark.

Dave Mosley
www.TeamSEACATS.com

Posted By: Robi

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/28/05 04:56 AM

Repost!
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
Great article and kickass pictures. Everyone should definitley check it out.
Posted By: Sailfish

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/29/05 05:03 AM

Dave, There is no way that you should be absent from the 2005 campaign. The offer for you to join Tean Windy Hill is officailly extended. Carolinians Rule!
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/29/05 06:15 AM

Heh, you can take Dave, if we get the rest of the seacats crew

Jake said he wanted to laugh at people sailing up the coast anyways. I think Trey and I would provide him ample opportunity :P
Posted By: SteveT

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/29/05 05:25 PM

If you know of anyone looking for crew, I'm available to do the race. My skipper extrordinaire from 2004, John Mclaughlin, has family obligations this year and can't make it. I doubt Sailing World will let me write another feature story, but after last year's experience, I'm hooked.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/29/05 05:51 PM

Go get 'em Steve! Nice freakin' article by the way! Your efforts do our sport a great deed!

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/29/05 06:14 PM

Thanks, Jake, I'm glad it's been so well received.
Posted By: Mary

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/29/05 06:47 PM

Finally got my Sailing World today. It is a wonderful spread, and I was glad they were able to use our pictures.
All the inside photos, with the exception of page 37, were taken by Rick White and were provided to them courtesy of "Catamaran Sailor" magazine.

I just had to give us a little plug, since "Sailing World" did not.

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/29/05 11:10 PM

I haven't seen it yet. Didn't they give Rick a photo credit?
Posted By: Tracie

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/30/05 04:28 AM

Finally got my Sailing World today. It is a wonderful spread, and I was glad they were able to use our pictures.
All the inside photos, with the exception of page 37, were taken by Rick White and were provided to them courtesy of "Catamaran Sailor" magazine.

I just had to give us a little plug, since "Sailing World" did not.

I see Rick's name, and Walter Cooper's for what I am assuming is the Tommy Bahama photo, printed on each page (except page 37).

Tracie

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/30/05 05:41 AM

Thanks, Tracie. I never would have seen the photo credits if you hadn't told me they were there -- and without the help of two pairs of glasses. On the page with the Tommy Bahama picture, I would have to assume that the Tommy Bahama one is Rick's, since Rick's name is the upper one. What a weird way to do photo credits, when you can't even tell who took what.

Anyway, my only little minor complaint is that they were supposed to say the photos were courtesy of Catamaran Sailor Magazine. But now that I see how tiny the type is for the credits, I don't even care about that. Who would see it? It's not like we were getting paid for the pictures. All we asked for was credit to my magazine.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, one would think the photographers would get a little more recognition. In this case that would include Walter Cooper, Rick White, and Thierry Martinez.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/30/05 05:23 PM

Mary, I asked SW editor John Burnham a few years ago if they would add a "Multihull" section each month, like Yachts and Yachting does in England. (I suggested you and Rick write it for them) He said there were not enough advertisers (Cats) or cat subscribers to support the pages.

If you guys want to see more great cat articles like Steve's (nice job Steve) you have to subscribe to the magazine ($28 for 3 years) and write letters to the editor ( editorial@sailingworld.com )requesting cat racing articles and maybe buy a new cat once in a while so the manufactures can afford to run adds...

This would be the best opportunity to grow the sport, by converting leaner crew to cat racers. I think SW has been doing a good job of adding good cat articles lately. So get off the checkbook and subscribe now!
Posted By: Robi

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/30/05 05:54 PM

I wonder if Vector Works Marine will get the new Blade in the pages of Sailing World? That would be nice to see.
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/30/05 07:13 PM

Tim
I think it should be the other way around when the magazine starts writting about something I want to read then I will buy it. I also think there are plenty of new boats being sold. My new F18 has been on order since December and I still don't have it.

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/30/05 07:16 PM

Finally got around to reading it.

Good article, although I think you might have scared some people away from thinking about participating :P

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/31/05 12:17 AM

Good article, although I think you might have scared some people away from thinking about participating

If you're scared by the story, you probably shouldn't be doing the race.

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/31/05 01:11 AM

Exactly!

Re: Tybee 500/OBX 500 makes cover of Sailing Worls - 01/31/05 03:09 AM

I agree

but

I have to say

the faceplant looks MUCH worse in the picture than it did in person :P
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums