Catsailor.com

Spring sailing trip

Posted By: NCSUtrey

Spring sailing trip - 02/24/05 02:01 AM

Ok, much needed spring break is coming up here at NC State, and I am gonna go on a little trip. I am gonna sail from Wilmington, NC, to Myrtle Beach, SC, starting on March 5. Hoping to make it a one day sail, but there are folks driving too just in case. Anyone up for going along with their boat?
Trey Brown
I-20 314
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/24/05 05:04 AM

Where are you landing in Myrtle? I cant make th trip, but I may hook with you at the end.

David

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/24/05 05:24 AM

Probably land somewhere in North Myrtle Beach area...what ya got in mind?
Trey
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/24/05 01:10 PM

Don't break the boat.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/24/05 01:51 PM

What!? are you not going too?

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/24/05 02:35 PM

Tad has to work...ha! That's what happens though when you get old, right Tad? Anyway, you gonna show up too, Jake? It'll be a good cheap warmup for Spring Fever. I'm sure I will probably stay in Myrtle Beach for a few days, so lots of sailing.

Trey

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/24/05 03:29 PM

unfortunately Trey is correct.

I only have so much vacation for the year, which I need to save for the T500, and a family vacation to the outer banks in June.

The rest of it is split amongst random days off needed for doctor's appointments and so forth.

Therefore I feel as the older/wiser partner in this venture to warn him to not break the boat since I already have one "I told you so" under my belt

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/24/05 04:13 PM

I would but I'm on a narrow financial path with the regatta schedule we've got planned already.

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/24/05 04:17 PM

Ok, ok, I guess those are good enough excuses...you only live once though. What are your plans, Dave? Anybody else gonna come?
And as for you Tad, I'll deal with you later...hahahaaa
Trey
I-20 314
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/25/05 02:07 AM

March 5th looks tight to me, I forgot about my job and my personal obligations, thought I was still in college!

david
Posted By: Sailfish

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/28/05 10:07 PM

Maybe another time. I-20 still in the Keys waiting on Tybee 500. Hobie 16 loaded for Pee Dee Classic March 12. Other H 16 at Windy Hill already, so at the wrong end of your line.

PS - I'd start from North myrtle and go north.

Re: Spring sailing trip - 02/28/05 11:48 PM

Well, the original plan was to sail down and back, but we are still trying to decide. Anyone know of any good places to launch SOUTH of Wilmington?
Trey
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/03/05 04:45 AM

You might be lucky enough to get some snow on that trip. I'm glad I'll be in Key West.
Posted By: hobiegary

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/03/05 05:58 AM

Well it might not be Spring yet, but the guys in So. CA just can't wait to sail across 20+ nautical miles of ocean to visit Catalina Island.

We had a bit of a beat so we ended up sailing 64 nautical miles round trip from Cabrillo Beach to Twin Harboars (Catalina Island's Isthmus, The West End of the island) this past weekend.

When we got there we found out what February can look like on Catalina after record amounts of rainfall.

Perhaps some of the snowbirds should plan to come to Southern California and make this trip. We have a group making the Trip on the weekend of April First, Second, Third, as well as another trip (3rd trip this year) on April 9th and 10th.

Blue Water Experience Necessary. Feast your eyes on this February in So. CA photo:

[Linked Image]

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/03/05 12:37 PM

Oh man! The last one is the weekend before the Alter Cup! I wish I had known that before I booked my flights (frequent flier miles - very inflexible). One of these days, I'm going to cruise out there with you guys - that one is high on my list of to-dos but unfortunately low on the list of can-dos.

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/03/05 12:38 PM

**For some reason, I keep getting double posts**

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/03/05 07:42 PM

Just so you know, Trey twisted my arm enough to make me go until sunday.

So I'll be freezing my butt off too.
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/06/05 01:15 AM

Boy I hope Trey did not go on his trip today 3/5/05. I live in Wilmington about five miles from the coast and it sure was windy. I was putting my new boat together and could hardly stand up at times. We also had some bad storms winds to 35kts. The winds were out of the west so his sail would have been a jib reach with flatter water near shore(2 to 4 feet)and bigger seas farther out (6 to 8 feet). If he had any problems the winds would have blown him out to sea. Would have been good practice for the A 1000 though. Let's here from you Trey.
Posted By: Cary Palmer

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/06/05 05:35 AM

Winds were gusting 50+ here at Lake Murray for a few minutes when the storm front went Through. Blowing all kinds of big stuff around the yard.
Glad to see you got your new Boat, David. Talked to Mike as he was driving it your way, Sure wish mine was here, but unlike you, I'm glad Mike's doing the assembly since time is short and the racing season is upon us.
CARY

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/07/05 12:17 AM

Gusts here (Seneca, SC) were peaking over 30knots - we were trying to race sport monohulls in it. It was windy!
Posted By: Cary Palmer

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/07/05 12:41 AM

J-24's were laying over sideways by the Dam at Lake Murray.
It blew my toilet off the back porch.
Smashed it to smithereens.
(Why would anyone leave a toilet on the Back Porch you might say?)
I'm building a new bathroom I had to put the fixtures somewhere while I was grouting the ceramic tile.
Point is I'm glad I was not out solo, even on the H-14.
CARY

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/07/05 03:58 AM

Hey Guys,

We got down on Saturday, set the boat up and then saw nasty clouds on the horizon. We got the better part of judgement and just pushed the boat down the beach (2 blocks) in front the hotel. We pretty much rigged as much as possible, found a centerblock, buried it and tied down the crossbeam to it.

Glad we did too. Waiting in the hotel room we watched flagpoles on the hotel next to us bend and flex over.

Today however was simply awesome. Wind started this morning at about 8 knots with smooth seas. An hour later it was at 20+. Hooked in and did a spinnaker run from South Myrtle up to ... well Myrtle. Round trip about 50 miles. Not bad for a mid afternoon sail. Cold though, 47 degree water. Got some good wave surfing practice in there.

Also ripped our practice chute. But ahh well it wouldn't be a practice chute without a rip right?

Re: Spring sailing trip - 03/08/05 06:54 AM

Ok, I'm back. No internet on "vacations." We decided due to weather to just take the boat on down to Myrtle, which was a great idea. Weather was pretty rough, and it would have been a mean upwind sail. Anyway, it was a good trip, Myrtle Beach is a great place (except for all the people), and we ahd a great time. It was a little cold, but a wetsuit, etc. took care of that. Dave, the weekend after spring fever Tad and I are gonna have the I-20 down off Masonboro Island, up for bringing your new toy out?
Trey
I-20 314
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums