Catsailor.com

Shipping hobie 16 cross-country......IDEAS?

Posted By: bullswan

Shipping hobie 16 cross-country......IDEAS? - 03/24/05 12:20 AM

Hi folks,
I'm new at this and open to any and all suggestions....
My brother-in-law lives in Pleasant Hill California and he and I are trying to figure out the best way to get this Hobie 16 out here to my home in Northfield NH. The trailer is not an option. I am now thinking of dismantling and building a 2' x 4' x 17' crate and shipping it. The mast and boom I'll ship separately. Has anyone done this before and/or do you have thoughts. No rush on getting it here. We still have 2 feet of ice on Lake Winnipesaukee!!
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Shipping hobie 16 cross-country......IDEAS? - 03/24/05 01:35 AM

The Tiger Worlds are in California next week. Several boats are from the east coast and they have to be coming home... so maybe you could work out a deal.

(its just a thought)
Good Luck
Mark
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Shipping hobie 16 cross-country......IDEAS? - 03/24/05 01:59 AM

There's a container returning from the Tiger Worlds in Santa Barbara to the east coast in about 2 weeks. If you hustle, you might be able to hitch a ride in it. I don't think it's full - yet.

Go to the Tiger Worlds Web site and navigate to the contacts section (lower left corner)
Posted By: spinakerjohn

Re: Shipping hobie 16 cross-country......IDEAS? - 03/28/05 04:28 PM

Sell that H16 in Cal and buy another in NH.

Spinakerjohn
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Shipping hobie 16 cross-country......IDEAS? - 03/31/05 02:36 PM

I had a similiar problem recently. Unless you can pull it behind your car, transporting a catamaran is expensive. A rough rule of thumb is:

Friends and great deals - $0.10 -$0.25/mile (sometimes free)

Commercial Transport (Trucks, trains ) - $0.25-$0.75/mile

Commercial Boat Transportation (with no trailer) $1.00-$1.50/mile

Unless you are using a boat transportation company or it is being carried by anouther sailor, package everything as if someone is going to drop a big heavy wooden box on it.

I would consider selling the boat in Ca and buying one on the east coast (they are cheaper when there is still snow)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums