Catsailor.com

US Multihull Championship - Final

Posted By: mmiller

US Multihull Championship - Final - 04/17/05 02:48 PM

US Multihull Championship - Hobie Alter Cup

Today is the final races for the Hobie Alter Cup.

It appears that Thomas and Bernier have wrapped it up as of yesterday. They likely will not race today and take it as a throw out. With 16 points thus far compared to the next position at 29 (a 13 point lead using a 4 as a throw out).

If my math works correctly, even assuming two more races, Thomas staying on the beach and taking a DNS for 11 (and bump to B) then another DNS for 21 (throw out) gives them a maximum score of 27 points.

Congratulations were given to them on the beach yesterday.

Sitting in second is Stan Schreyer/Jonathan Farrar with 29 points. Tomko was out of contention having been bumped to the B group and a guaranteed minimum of an 11th for the next race.

Looks like Noriega and Thomas were the only two that did not take higher scores by being bumped to B group in the regatta.

Thomas and Bernier were hot off the Hobie Tiger Worlds just two weeks prior. They had finished 5th just missing the top two positions in that event after having a port starboard confrontation (they were starboard) at the finish of one of the last races. To avoid a collision they capsized and lost 10 places and their shot at the World Title.

Congratulations!!

(Of course... pending the "fat lady singing" today)
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: US Multihull Championship - Final - 04/18/05 03:51 PM

Hi Matt

What happend with that protest. I don't know why but I thought that they would be given redress and not have to swallow the lower finish position?

Congrats to Greg and Jacques

Thanks
Mark
Posted By: John Williams

Re: US Multihull Championship - Final - 04/18/05 04:41 PM

Redress denied - no damage.
Posted By: Jake

Re: US Multihull Championship - Final - 04/18/05 05:19 PM

I just want to chime and say what a terrific week we had at the Alter Cup this year in Long Beach, CA. We're back home now (and I'm unfortunately already at work after the red-eye flight last night) John and gang ran a flawless event. The Hobie supplied Tigers were awesome and considering the number of races run and the different teams that sailed them between the Worlds and the Alter Cup that the boats held up beautifully with hardly any non-sailor generated problems besides a couple of small block failures (likely due to sand intrusion) and a couple rudder cams that needed adjustment throughout the week. Although the heaviest teams like us were wishing for a serious blow to strut our stuff, the venue was spectacular with steady breeze all week long. Los Alamitos Yacht Club was a wonderful host. Thanks all for the hard work that went into making this event so incredibly enjoyable!

Regards,
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: US Multihull Championship - Final - 04/18/05 05:47 PM

Congratulations to Greg and Jacques!!! You guys are great competitors.

Mike Hill
www.stlouiscats.com
Posted By: mmiller

Re: US Multihull Championship - Final - 04/18/05 09:57 PM

Many thanks go out to the competitors for all of their help in de-rigging and stacking.

May I also say that Greg and Jacques are great assets here at Hobie Cat! Both Greg and Jacques are hard working and extremely diligent. We had to return to the YC Yard last night after the awards to finish up the packing and stacking. Those of us that drove loads home last night were back home by 11 or 11:30 PM.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums