Catsailor.com

Preferred Weather Information Source?

Posted By: MauganN20

Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/21/05 03:14 PM

What is the overall concensus on the preferred weather forcasting source on the internet? I usually check a couple of the popular ones, but to be honest, the local TV station website always has it right as far as the wind predictions go.

As far as sea state and storm system forcasts, is it a safe bet to just go with NOAA or is the monotone sonuvabish not as trustworthy as I hold him.
Posted By: flounder

Re: Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/21/05 03:25 PM

Weather Underground: www.wunderground.com

NOAA radio is good.
Posted By: vicatman

Re: Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/21/05 05:02 PM

Starting in Aug-Sept we watch www.intellicast.com real close
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/21/05 05:52 PM

I will use wunderground.com, NOAA, local TV forecasts - whatever has the best wind and weather - and then use that to convince others to come out sailing.

For venturing our in the Gulf NOAA had been reliable.

Last year we used a laptop with wireless internet (cellular) at a regatta to track thunderstorm activity on the local weather radar. There is also a cool site that tracks lightning activity in the Houston area that we used.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/21/05 07:24 PM

http://maps.fsl.noaa.gov/pig.cgi?13km_D2+se+./
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/21/05 09:20 PM

We have what we like to call a "Cajun weather machine". It consists of a Wood plaque with a short lenght of light rope. Its pretty technical to use so follow along...

If its wet then its raining.
If its dry, then its not raining.
If its hanging straight down, there is no breeze.
If its horizontal, hang on to your hat its blowin'.
If its black, its night time
If its white, its foggy
If its gone you're probably in the middle of a hurricane and you shouldn't be out checking the damn thing anyway

One thing is that its always right! No offense to any weathermen out there, I wouldn't want to try it myself.

Peace,

Clayton

Posted By: inter286

Re: Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/22/05 02:09 AM

Since you are talking about WX services, you might want to check this out. Could change the way you think about things.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/news/epaper/2005/04/21/m1a_wx_0421.html

Need to do more digging, but this whole idea sounds very uninformed.
Posted By: David Parker

Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/23/05 12:27 AM

For a forecast, try this NOAA site. Put in your own zip code.
NOAA forecast
It gets constantly updated. It seems to be the MOST current and is as precise and accurate as weather guys can get . Notice the link to radar and satellite images. Once there you can zoom, loop, whatever.

For current conditions, try
NOAA current conditions
Track down the nearest site to you. Until they can provide a better product, Accuweather SHOULD be afraid of NOAA competition.

If Accuweather can claim NOAA is unfair competition, can SeaTow sue to get rid of the Coast Guard?
Posted By: hobieman

Re: Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/23/05 04:35 AM

The best web site for forcasting the wind is www.iwindsurf.com this website is great. It has the wind forcast all over the country from Hawaii, California, to New Jersey. check it out!!
Posted By: wyatt

Re: Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/25/05 11:42 AM

I usually link on to the NOAA weather bouys in the area that I'm going to. The underground is nice, and I liked the NOAA referal. Thanks,

Wyatt
Posted By: the_skier

Re: Preferred Weather Information Source? - 04/26/05 03:42 AM

I would also say that far and away the best service for sailors is www.ikitesurf.com. If you want accurate and extremely detailed wind forecast and current info subscribe to this site. You will not be disappointed. They maintain their own sensors all over the country and have specialized wind forecasters for most areas. They do a great job because most of their clients are windsurfers and kiteboarders who rely on a super accurate forecast because a forecast that is off by 5 knots of wind can mean going riding or not. Check it out!!!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums