Catsailor.com

Sailing Watch Recommendations

Posted By: RCochran

Sailing Watch Recommendations - 04/26/05 04:40 PM

I'm looking for a new sailing watch. My criteria is large numbers, front buttons and a countdown timer that beeps on at least the last ten seconds, with a beep every 30 seconds of the countdown preferrable as well. I don't really want to break the bank here, but I will be sailing solo and I need the watch to "talk to me".

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Roger
Posted By: Mary

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 04/26/05 04:48 PM

That sounds like a leading question, but the answer is Ronstan Clear Start. It's absolutely the best and meets all your requirements.

You can find it right here in our on-line store. Rick and I both use them -- he uses it for sailboat racing, and I use it to time whatever I have in the oven.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 04/26/05 04:50 PM

Ronstan Clear Start...I want one of these:

http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&grp=124

There is also the Garmin Foretrex (which is also a full featured GPS unit) with sailing start countdown timer for about $130...it beeps at intervals and also lets you resync the sequence if you are initially off by a few seconds. There's also a "201" version with sealed lithium ion batteries (recharable unit). The 101 is not really catamaran waterproof.

http://www.garmin.com/products/foretrex101/

Then there is the Gill watch with digital overlay. I have one of these and the watch and the overlay is nice. Timer beeps every 30 seconds, beeps every 10 seconds within 30, and every second within 10 to go. I like it but the buttons on the side are susceptible to contact with my sailing glove which sometimes stops the timer.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 04/26/05 04:55 PM

Hi Roger,
Long time.., no see! Hope we can make it to the Cat Fight this year.

Yep, the Ronstan is the cat's meow and you can set the countdown time to any set of numbers.
The best part is when you are sitting around waiting for the RC and they suddenly throw up a flag. Well, you hit the button, but are you a few seconds off, 5, 10 20? Who knows.
No Problem! When the next flag/sound goes off click on "Sync" and it nails it at the exact minute.

Also, I use it for multiple starts as RC. At the Annual Tradewinds we use 3 min starts and have about 6 fleets start. I can set it to count down from three and keep repeating the sequence.
Or you can set it to countdown and then up to get the elapsed time.
Sells for around $112 on our Store.
here is the URL
http://store.catsailor.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnhqlsfrd8
Good luck,
Rick
Posted By: Robi

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 04/26/05 09:37 PM

awesome info!
Posted By: EasyReiter

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 04/26/05 09:59 PM

I'm not selling one, but I love the Ronstan watch my sweety bought me for the last race I was in, it works, enough said.
Posted By: arbo06

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 04/26/05 10:56 PM

I have the Ronstan, Killer watch. My wife bought it from Catsailor store.

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 05/04/05 08:53 PM

The Fedex guy just delivered my Clear Start watch from Catsailor. It's exactly what I wanted. It's kewl.

Roger
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 05/04/05 11:04 PM

I would just like to mention the Suunto Mariner, which has a large display, compass, and is suitable for everyday use.
http://www.suuntowatches.com/mariner.htm
Posted By: inter286

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 05/05/05 02:44 AM

Ahhhhh Come on Rog, I must have forgotten to send you the memo that the F17 fleet is going to use our internal clocks this year (1 mississippi, 2 mississippi,.....)

Oh, I forgot, now that you don't have Ginger to call your times, you need to figure out that multi-task thing...

Bill W.
Posted By: sparky

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 05/05/05 11:41 AM

The CRAM F17 Fleet is really hoppin"! Roger, Bill W., Bill G., Harold, Stan, Wiz, Tim, Eric, Chris, Biggie, and Mark B. all come to almost every regatta! I wonder if the F18 Fleet in CRAM will match the F17 Fleet numbers?

I now know how to grow a fleet. I join a fleet and sail in it for 5 years, then sell my boat and join a different fleet. The following year, the fleet I just left will triple in size!

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 05/05/05 05:18 PM

Oops, I forgot my competition ws listening........

So much for an advantage (and I certainly need one).

Roger
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 05/05/05 05:59 PM

Hi Roger,
That watch is definitely an advantage at the starting line. Don't think I have had a bad start since I started using the Ronstan Clear Start.
Good luck and hope I see you all somewhere up there this summer. Heading for Put-in-Bay on Sunday.., via the Tybee 500.
Rick
Posted By: inter286

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 05/05/05 07:33 PM

I now know how to grow a fleet. I join a fleet and sail in it for 5 years, then sell my boat and join a different fleet. The following year, the fleet I just left will triple in size! [/quote]

For the record Les, the welcome mat is always out for ya...to come back home.....

Bill W
Figurehead F17 Flt Cpt
Posted By: sparky

Re: Sailing Watch Recommendations - 05/05/05 09:20 PM

Bill W.,

I appreciate the sentiments a great deal! It sure looks like you guys are going to have a lot of fun this year! It is a GREAT Fleet with lots of racing experience and talent (and enthusiasm)! I will be watching to see what happens!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums