Catsailor.com

OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500

Posted By: mikekrantz

OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/15/05 08:49 PM

It listed on OLN as Atlantic 1000
Tuesday, 06/21 3:00pm EST

CDH productions did a great job following us up the coast. I'm sure there are some good interviews with all the teams.

-Mike
Posted By: Jake

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/21/05 04:34 PM

Remember the OLN Tybee 500 special is on today at 3pm eastern.
Posted By: RCochran

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/21/05 04:40 PM

Tivo is locked on
Posted By: sail6000

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/21/05 06:38 PM

hI rOGER -Jake and Mike -

darn --stuck here at work ,--hope someone will record it

http://www.olntv.com/htmlpage.asp?htmlid=4

our 15 seconds of fame !!----again
Carl
Posted By: John Williams

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/21/05 07:39 PM

Hey Jake -

What'd you give them to shoot you from that angle? My wife thinks you're 6-foot tall now.
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/21/05 07:58 PM

Great production.., the best I have ever seen on these great distance races. The on the water videography really capped it off.., and then I noticed in the credits that Brian Karr was the guy that set it up.., Cudos to Brian!

Finally some great exposure to this wonderful sport.

I recommend we all send an email to OLN on what a great job they did and how much we appreciate it. They will get your email at feedback@olntv.com

Cool,
Rick
Posted By: Mary

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/21/05 09:01 PM

I sent my feedback. I thought the production was fabulous! Video from the beach, from the water, from the air, and from onboard the boats, plus interviews with the sailors. The best thing I have seen for beach-cat sailors since the National Geographic Special on the Worrell 1000 back in the 1980's.

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/21/05 09:09 PM

What'd you give them to shoot you from that angle? My wife thinks you're 6-foot tall now.

Wha? Huh? What do you mean? What are you trying to say?

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/21/05 09:11 PM

That was a great program! Can you imagine what the coverage would have been like if the conditions were challenging!?

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/21/05 09:18 PM

Actually, I think it was perfect. If conditions had been worse, it might have been difficult, if not impossible, to get any video from powerboats, and the onboard cameras probably would have looked like they were under a waterfall.

Granted, the launchings and landings looked pretty tame.
Posted By: Andrew

Rerun? - 06/21/05 09:36 PM

Will the special be aired (aired?) again?
Posted By: sail6000

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/21/05 10:03 PM

Jake your famous !

Couldn,t stand not seeing it and drove over to a local sports bar and asked them to put on OLN TV -the nice gal at the Friends handed the channel changer over ,-really nice ,--just caught the last portion of IT ,but saw your interview beach spot --'"hitting the fish ",--good one Jake .

have fun -

Re: Rerun? - 06/21/05 10:18 PM

Will the special be aired (aired?) again?

Write to the e-mail address that Rick gave you and ask them.

Re: Rerun? - 06/22/05 12:52 AM

I believe it is scheduled to air again in August. Most of the Teams should be getting a DVD from the production company too.

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 12:54 AM

just caught the last portion of IT ,but saw your interview beach spot --'"hitting the fish ",--good one Jake .

That was a big freakin' fish - whatever it was! I was hoping they had footage of us healing the boat over 45 degrees in the surf to get the daggerboard unjammed...but nobody would probably be able to tell what was happening there.
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 01:00 AM

I think the credits were fabulous
Posted By: BrianK

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 01:12 AM

Actually, I think it was perfect. If conditions had been worse, it might have been difficult, if not impossible, to get any video from powerboats, and the onboard cameras probably would have looked like they were under a waterfall.

Mary, the cams work very well regardless of the conditions except for very low light. The units are completely submersible. Check out the videos on www.F18NAOnline.com of the Ingrams and Hubels flipping, the cams keep working!

In the OLN show you will notice a rudder cam shot with the waves breaking right over the camera, the water pretty much clears right off.

At the F18 North Americans this August we will also be trying out some RF based cams.

Brian Karr
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 01:15 AM

At the F18 North Americans this August we will also be trying out some RF based cams.

Brian Karr

Brian, what is an RF based cam? What will it give you that you don't have now?

Dave
Posted By: Prindle2

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/22/05 01:49 AM

I feel like they could have shown some more sailing. Interviews about where you are from are ok, but they will not attract anyone to the sport. My girlfriend sat through the whole thing (probably because I was so excited about it), so that is saying something

Sailing on TV always makes my day.

Matt
Posted By: drbinkle

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 04:51 AM

ahh, I missed it. Tad, did you happen to record it?

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 11:54 AM

I've got a .vob file.
Posted By: John Williams

RF cams - 06/22/05 12:55 PM

As Brian explained it to me, these are radio frequency cameras. He'll give them to teams on the water and receive their short-range video on shore, putting it straight onto the event web site. I think he said the tiny cameras will be in ball caps, to be worn by volunteers. Chum up to the guy now, folks, 'cause I think what he's developing has such a wide application that it is only a matter of time before he's "discovered," and we'll all be shirt-tail cousins at best when he's in Hollywood...

Re: RF cams - 06/22/05 01:24 PM

John pretty much explained it. With the onboard cams we have to retrieve the tape from the recorder and then capture it, and the post to the web. The idea with the RF cams is that we will be able to capture directly to our computer setups during the race. No promises at this point, but in theory we could have video of each race up on the www.F18NAOnline.com website before the race is even complete!
Posted By: zander

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 02:36 PM

To anyone who didn't get to see it. I recorded it on my laptop and I can burn a dvd for you. Unfortunatley I also got the last 5 minutes of a Ronco infomercial at the beginning and a little of the program after it so I wouldn't miss anything. I'm not sure if I can edit that stuff out but???????????? If you want one let me know you address and I'll send some out( I can do a couple but I'm not prepared to do mass quantities plus that might be a copyright infringement)

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 03:13 PM

If you want one let me know you address and I'll send some out( I can do a couple but I'm not prepared to do mass quantities plus that might be a copyright infringement)

Might be!?! It is a copyright infringement!! By making a single copy you are breaking the law.

There will be copies available for sale soon. FYI, if you sell copies, or distribute them for free, makes no difference what so ever. It is stealing, plain and simple. I dont want to get in an ethics argument here, but keep in mind that when you do this you are stealing from the people that are trying to make this happen for all catsailing.

Getting video done and on TV and the Net is expensive. Catsailing is an incredible small market. If you want to see more, support it, dont rip it off.

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 03:40 PM

just for the record, I recorded it on a PVR for my own personal use (and to show to friends when they come over). Since I will (apparently) be receiving a DVD in the mail, I don't see the issue with "getting my copy in advance" if you will.

I wont be distributing it or making copies of it.
Posted By: zander

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 03:40 PM

Well I obviously didn't think that throught to well. Sorry I'm [color:"red"]Offically withdrawing my offer[/color] . I just wanted people to see it. Brian I consider you a good friend and wouldn't want to do anything to jepordize that, what you are doing for this sport is great and you have obviously put in tons of time and effort. Please understand that I had the best of intentions, and was not trying to rip-off your work or anybody elses. I am so excited to see cat sailing in the main stream I want everyone to see it. So Brians right I'm sure there will be a way for everyone that missed it to purchase it or wait for it to be re-aired.

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 04:49 PM

No worries, my post problably came across sounding much worse than I intended. Sorry for the harsh overtone. Its funny when you start working and dealing with people that do audio/video/film for a living, duplication gets taken pretty serious. Even more so when its paying the bills. I guess Im picking up some of that.

I need to get out sailing more.

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 06:52 PM

Is it illegal to record it on a VCR or on TIVO for your own use?

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 07:47 PM

Mary,

I dont think so (I dont think its illegal). Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc. 464 U.S. 417 , also known as the "Betamax case", was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States which ruled that the making of individual copies of complete television shows for personal use does not constitute copyright infringement, but is fair use. The Court also ruled that the manufacturers of home video recording devices, such as Betamax or VCRs, cannot be liable for infringement.

From what I read however, a lot of networks are pissed about Tivos, DVR's, etc because they allow users to skip the commercials. There are some new services that will allow you to record shows digitally, then send them to your friends! I think there is going to be another huge legal battle like the Napster one, except for TV and video.
Posted By: Catius

Re: guest appearances -call from Leno -autographs - 06/22/05 10:15 PM

There will be copies available for sale soon.

So...can we know more about where the copies will be for sale, and when? Thanks....
Posted By: C_and_H_Productions

Re: OLN special on 2005 Tybee 500 - 06/22/05 10:52 PM

Hi,
Thanks so much, we're glad everyone liked the show! We had a blast meeting everyone and we are starting to put things together for next year. We will be sending one copy to each team, if you want additional copies they can be purchased for $10.00 each. It is copyrighted.
Also they will be for sale in a couple weeks on our website: www.newwestproductions and on adventureonline.tv.
Thanks, please e-mail any questions or orders to: mharris969@aol.com
Look forword to hearing from you,
Michelle
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums