Catsailor.com

Nacra 5.2 Mast Step Bearing

Posted By: DrySailor

Nacra 5.2 Mast Step Bearing - 06/17/05 08:04 PM

Hi all, I recently purchased a 1979 Nacra 5.2 and I need a new mast step bearing. Murrays.com states that any pre-1983 boat cannot just replace the ball, but must upgrade the entire mast-step system to a 1.5" ball system. Does anyone know of another solution? Thanks
Posted By: Quietly_Making_Noise

Re: Nacra 5.2 Mast Step Bearing - 06/18/05 03:09 AM

I had a NARCA 5.2 when they first came out. I ended up cutting round circles out of the bottoms of milk jugs where the plastic is a little thicker. I had a baggie of them to use and carried it in my tool pouch. I also cut circles out of thin plastic body putty squeegees, the milk jugs were always handy so I used them the most. I always had a tube of bullfrog around to protect my nose. I used some bullfrog on both sides of the plastic to lubricate it.
Posted By: Andrew

Re: Nacra 5.2 Mast Step Bearing - 06/18/05 10:51 PM

I think I remember reading about a sailor, perhaps in South America, machining new plastic mast bearings for an early Nacra. I converted my 5.O to the new style bearing when I had it. Good luck.
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Nacra 5.2 Mast Step Bearing - 06/21/05 01:31 PM

Unless you have a 1 1/4" ball and the skills and equipment to drill and blind tap it, almost anything you do will cost more than the $100 the new system costs.

A cost savings method is to find a trashed boat that you can salvage from. I think all the mast bases are the same.

One thing have not tried is Hobie. The threads are different but some of the Hobies have "little balls"
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums