Catsailor.com

crew weight questions

Posted By: dannyb9

crew weight questions - 06/24/05 11:37 AM

my crew and i together weigh about 280 in our bathing suits, no shoes. our legal class weight is 285 (H16). wearing normal sailing gear, shoes, trap seats, life jackets, etc we probably weigh 295+. how is crew weight measured?
Posted By: DanWard

Re: crew weight questions - 06/24/05 12:07 PM

Sailing gear does not count. The weight is measured with light clothing and no shoes. Looks like your 5 lbs under.
Posted By: WindyHillF20

Re: crew weight questions - 06/27/05 09:00 PM

It has been my experience that weight is not checked. I sail Div 9 and they have this year started weighing F18 boats and skippers but no one else. They even allow and rank people sailing 18 magnums single handed. No one ever checks anything, including insurance.
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: crew weight questions - 06/27/05 09:22 PM

Marsh

It sounds like you need to add 5 lbs to be legal. We don't check weights much in the local regattas, but we all sail under the honor system and good sportsman-like conduct. If you feel a team is sailing under weight you can protest them. If you are sailing under weight and win a regatta you could be protested and get a DSQ.

Posted By: Tracie

Re: crew weight questions - 06/28/05 10:43 AM

It has been my experience that weight is not checked. I sail Div 9 and they have this year started weighing F18 boats and skippers but no one else. They even allow and rank people sailing 18 magnums single handed. No one ever checks anything, including insurance.

We've been weighing the F18 class at major events in Div 9 since 2004. (Spring Fever - Southern Area F18 Champs)

I'm sorry, do I know you? Have I seen you volunteering to plan, organize and run an event in our sailing area? Because the very few individuals that do donate their time to putting these events on for the sailors have limited resources and funds...and, I have a damn good idea as to what goes on in our sailing area.

Instead of casting negative remarks on the people who donate their time to making these events happen for you, and the other sailors, think about trying to make it better by volunteering your time.

Tracie Van Houten

Posted By: mbounds

Re: crew weight questions - 06/28/05 12:51 PM

It has been my experience that weight is not checked.

Just because it isn't checked, doesn't mean that you should not comply with the rules. Sailboat racing has a long tradition of being a self-policing sport. Being at the right weight is part of being class legal.

Guaranteed, the first regatta that you do really well - somebody will protest you for being underweight. If you knew you were underweight to begin with, it could also be a Rule 69 (Gross Misconduct) violation, which could get you banned for a year or two. For 5 lousy pounds.

Carry the weight.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: crew weight questions - 06/28/05 04:05 PM

We've been weighing the F18 class at major events in Div 9 since 2004. (Spring Fever - Southern Area F18 Champs)

I'm sorry, do I know you? Have I seen you volunteering to plan, organize and run an event in our sailing area? Because the very few individuals that do donate their time to putting these events on for the sailors have limited resources and funds...and, I have a damn good idea as to what goes on in our sailing area.

Instead of casting negative remarks on the people who donate their time to making these events happen for you, and the other sailors, think about trying to make it better by volunteering your time.

Tracie Van Houten

WORD!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums