Catsailor.com

Daggerboards in surf- control

Posted By: calcheck

Daggerboards in surf- control - 07/06/05 09:54 PM

Just started sailing the Supercat 19 without daggerboards since I'm launching in the surf. Can anyone elaborate how to keep them from falling into the wells while heading out through the surf. In the past I only sailed a Hobie 16. Does anyone have a picture - do you attach something to the shroud to keep it in position- can it be activated from across the tramp? Do you use mechanical advantage incase you have small crew? Thanks in advance John
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 07/07/05 01:11 AM

Sounds like you need to install some new daggerboard well gaskets.

Or you could install a bungie board holder similar to the 6.0's.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 07/07/05 01:44 AM

I'm not familiar with the S19 setup but for ideas; this is a bunji with a piece of PVC surrounded by foam. It helps put a side load on the daggerboard to help keep it where you leave it in the hull. Works beautifully and is used on the Nacra 6.0 and 5.2 (shown).

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 52817-DSC01547.jpg
Posted By: SOMA

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 07/07/05 02:46 AM

The Hobie 18 has a bungee that is tied to a hole on the top end of the daggerboard and then tied to a spot near the front crossbar. This keeps forward tension on the daggerboard so it will not slip down when up.
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 07/07/05 03:14 AM

this is a bunji with a piece of PVC surrounded by foam. It helps put a side load on the daggerboard to help keep it where you leave it in the hull. Works beautifully and is used on the Nacra 6.0 and 5.2

Hobie used to use the same system on the Tiger dagger boards. It worked well but if your boards push down almost flush to the deck then the tube can slip over the top over the board - so next time you raise the board there is nothing to hold it up. They are now using a small rubber wiper that applies slight side force to the boards. It is screwed into the deck at the mid point of the board. This system works very well can could be applied to any boat with dagger boards. The parts are available as an inexpensive kit. This system is very similar to how the Nacra 20 dagger boards are secured.

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 07/07/05 01:45 PM

Thanks- I was thinking of attaching something to the shroud and using a pulley- this is much simpler! The first owner rebuilt the wells since they were sticking.- I have been out in 15knots- It really flew and handles well without boards can't wait to try them. A side question- can you stand on the board for righting- or is that too hard on them or the well?

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 07/07/05 01:57 PM

The daggerboard is strong enough to support a good deal of the entire boat and crew weight while sailing and flying a hull. I can speak for My Nacra 5.2, 6.0NA, and F18 in that I could easily stand off the extended end easily for righting (I weigh about 170lbs).

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 07/07/05 03:19 PM

I should mention I am 215 lbs -dry!! that could be a factor

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 07/07/05 03:47 PM

then don't stand on the very tip end of the board - you should be OK.
Posted By: jbecker

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 08/23/05 10:43 PM

They are now using a small rubber wiper that applies slight side force to the boards. It is screwed into the deck at the mid point of the board. This system works very well can could be applied to any boat with dagger boards. The parts are available as an inexpensive kit.

I just acquired an older Tiger that has the old system. I haven't seen a kit like this in any catalogs. Where might I find it? Thanks.
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 08/23/05 11:17 PM

Contact your local Hobie dealer - or Murrays.com (apologies if you are carrying this gizmo in your store Rick).

Chris.
Posted By: tigerboy1

Re: Daggerboards in surf- control - 08/24/05 11:19 AM

The various DB retention systems work OK but can't be trusted...especially in the surf. Wave action and the pitching of the boat can cause your boards to fall down into the wells. My crew and I remove and stow the DB's under the tramp hiking straps when launching from or landing on the beach. Only when we are through the surf line and in deep enough water do we engage the DB's in the wells. It's not good for the wells or the boards to have one slip down accidently and grind the tips off. Keep 'em on the tramp until it's safe.

Expert DB Repair Guy
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums