Catsailor.com

B25 pulled from the depths of Lake Murky

Posted By: dave mosley

B25 pulled from the depths of Lake Murky - 09/23/05 04:27 PM

Our sailing venue here in Columbia gave up one of its ghosts this week as they pulled a B25 bomber from about 100ft under to the surface on its way to restoration in Alabama for a later museum piece. The bomber crashed in the 40's, as Jimmy Doolittle and his company were practice bombing Lunch Islan(now called bomb island because of the ordinance still around when the water is low) It was a 10 yr project and the bomber actually came up in one piece minus and engine and few stray parts. Columbia Sailing Club and the cat beach is in the background. (Sorry for the pic size)Heres one pic, check out the story and a couple more pix at www.seacats.org
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CraigO

Re: B25 pulled from the depths of Lake Murky - 09/23/05 04:53 PM

COOL!!!!
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: B25 pulled from the depths of Lake Murky - 09/23/05 09:21 PM

Makes you think.

The mud around the UK is still giving up planes from WWII and it makes people think about what we are and why we are here.
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: B25 pulled from the depths of Lake Murky - 09/23/05 09:55 PM

Hey Power Dave,

will it still be there during outback cup?

I'd love to go check it out!
Posted By: SOMA

Re: B25 pulled from the depths of Lake Murky - 09/23/05 10:06 PM

I don't know... with the red Snap-On tool box and plastic gas jug in the background, I think they may be trying to fire her up.
Posted By: TSurfer

Re: B25 pulled from the depths of Lake Murky - 09/24/05 04:03 AM

Wow, the condition of this warbird seems well preserved.
Must have been the mud!?

I always enjoy seeing the restoration stages of the WWII stuff.

Posted By: dave mosley

Re: B25 pulled from the depths of Lake Murky - 09/24/05 05:08 AM

Tad, its suppose to be disassembled this week. I dont know their progress or schedule, but I think it will be gone before the Outback Cup next weekend. And it was under the mud. They raised it gently, floated it under the water under a barge for 2 miles to the dam where it was then washed to remove the dirt and mud, then raised inches at a time until clean and semi mud free. It took 5-6 days for it to come out of the water once it was at the dam. Incidentally 5 B25's crashed in Lake Murray, 2 with fatalities, 3 without. This was one f the lucky ones. I have still not heard why it crashed. The insignia, a white star, and numbering are all still visible after 60+ years.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums