Catsailor.com

Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?!

Posted By: Wouter

Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 10:27 AM

Take a look at this video clip.

It shows how the V70 boats are quickly discovering that you must have a wave-piercing bow at these speeds. If they push it any harder then they will almost pitchpole.

http://siteworks.volvooceanrace.uk.kpnis.nl/web/show/id=91479

Wouter
Posted By: brobru

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 12:33 PM

Wouter and all,

Nice video, thanks for the link.

Kinda makes you wonder how a multi hull of the same size would do right next to the mono (..well, not really :-)...)

The Aruba Regatta starts this week, I believe some 16' are on the list.

regards,

Bruce
St. Croix
USVI
Posted By: Jake

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 12:37 PM

That is going to be one wet ride around the marble.
Posted By: David Parker

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 01:30 PM

Wavepiercing....like this?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 01:44 PM

whodathunkit that you'd need a drysuit to run pit on a 70' ocean yacht?
Posted By: bvining

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 02:03 PM

Two rudders, two boards....

Why not - 2 hulls?

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 02:15 PM

The lines are beginning to merge even more....

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/fringe/2005/images/LSS_7.jpg
[Linked Image]

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 02:40 PM

that is the ugliest lead-hauler I've ever seen.
Posted By: steveh

Ecclesiastes 1:9-11 - 11/03/05 02:52 PM

That which has been is that which shall be; and that which has been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Is there a thing of which it may be said, "Behold, this is new?" It has been long ago, in the ages which were before us. There is no memory of the former; neither shall there be any memory of the latter that are to come, among those that shall come after.

Praise be to Howard I. Chapelle for preserving the memory. Amen.

If that's a wave piercer, then so is the New Haven sharpie of the mid to late 1800's. When I first saw the hull shape, it struck me how similar the forward third is to a sharpie, particularly a vertical-sided Phil Bolger sharpie. Compare the attached ABN AMRO bow pic with these New Haven sharpie pics and lines. The sharpie shown is a working boat with a deeper hull for hauling oysters. The racing boats had flatter runs aft, less rocker and huge centerboards. Comparing the hulls, the "wave piercing," or what previous generations of designers called a "wet ride," looks more a matter of low freeboard and no flare coupled with the higher speeds associated with a high length to beam ratio, extreme shallow draft and a righting ballast gimmick. The 35-ft racing sharpies at the turn of the previous century were capable of an excess of 20 knots with an L/B of 5, a draft of about 10 inches and about 10 guys out on a plank. And now it looks like SA has replaced the plank with pods.

Perhaps in another 10 years or so, Phil Bolger will be vindicated when these V70 boats have vertical topsides and hard chines.

Attached picture 60793-abn amro bow.jpg

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 02:54 PM

that is the ugliest lead-hauler I've ever seen.

Pshaw! Stretch those pods and reduce that center hull, perhaps even making it a square of fabric, and it has potential.

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 04:09 PM

I think the effort in that drawing is to build a maxi something that will be allowed in the Sydney - Hobart race. They don't currenly allow "multihulls"

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 04:22 PM

well they are going to come across some problems considering Jen has already publicly stated (On SA) that the design "Won't be getting anywhere near an IRC certificate".
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 07:18 PM

Rumour has it that the VOR70s where designed for wakeboarders...
http://team.abnamro.com/web/servlet/nl.gx.siteworks.client.http.GetFile/id=92794

Nosediving and resulting broaches are already a problem with the Open 60 monohulls, I guess the VOR70 are not much better (Or probably worse since they are required to sail upwind). Bruce Schwab added a finn to the bow of his Ocean-Planet to prevent nosediving. Also the canting keels will take a pounding and IMHO its only a matter of time before one of 'em falls of.
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/fringe/2004/op_bowlip.htm

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/03/05 08:43 PM

Do these hydrofoil things really work?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Wavepiercing monohull with keel ?! - 11/04/05 02:29 AM

The mono guys call it a plumb bow and just about every modern sport boat has one.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums