Catsailor.com

Throwable Floatation

Posted By: calcheck

Throwable Floatation - 01/09/06 01:33 PM

Just wanted to see if others have addressed the issue of throwable floatation. I learned from other posts that since my boat is over 18'(the Supercat 19) the coast guard requires me to carry a throwable. 1 Are there any requirements for it to be tethered? 2. Where do you keep it so it's handy? Thanks in advance for all the good advice

John R.
Posted By: Keith

Re: Throwable Floatation - 01/09/06 02:28 PM

To meet this reg, I keep a throwable in a Murray's tramp bag. All I need to do to use it is unzip the bag - tying it down to the tramp would make it hard to use if you needed it. I attach the bag to the rear of the tramp where it's less in the way but still easy to access. For racing I require those on board to wear a vest regardless of conditions, but having the throwable is still a good idea.

Having a throwable isn't a bad idea in addition to meeting regulations. A couple of years ago in the C-100 a SC-22 went turtle in heavy conditions. The boat was righted by running the throwable up (down?) the mast on a halyard. On very slow and long races I've pulled it out to sit on when the hulls get particularly hard on the body.
Posted By: calcheck

Re: Throwable Floatation - 01/09/06 06:29 PM

Thanks Keith- I forgot the first question which is what throwable do you use?- I'm assuming from your answer that is an old square cushon with straps like I used to use in fishing boats?

John R.
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Throwable Floatation - 01/09/06 06:41 PM

calcheck

thats what we use.
Posted By: Keith

Re: Throwable Floatation - 01/09/06 08:06 PM

Thanks Keith- I forgot the first question which is what throwable do you use?- I'm assuming from your answer that is an old square cushon with straps like I used to use in fishing boats?

John R.

Yup. Standard model type thing. I try to keep it relatively new so it will float when needed...
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Throwable Floatation - 01/09/06 08:17 PM

uh..
as opposed to as old and squashed and small as possible?

I saw somebody with a half a cushion and he claimed that it counted!

Where in the rules does it say you are allowed to leave these off the boat in a buoys' race? Are you in violation when you do?
Posted By: tshan

Re: Throwable Floatation - 01/09/06 09:05 PM

It is required by most state regulations that boats over a certain length carry a throwable flotation (PFD Type IV) device. Alabama state law sets the minimum length at 16 ft (meaning 16 ft and up must have a throwable accessible).
Posted By: tshan

Re: Throwable Floatation - 01/09/06 09:06 PM

No exception for racing that I know of.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Throwable Floatation - 01/09/06 09:50 PM

Does it have to be attached to the craft, or can I strap it to my butt while I'm sailing? If my crew flies off the boat, I can just toss it like a grenade and let the line spool out...

Keeps the chaffing down, too...
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Throwable Floatation - 01/09/06 10:01 PM

To think 30 years ago we used to bitch about having to wear life jackets while racing.

About the same # of years ago, I had a Park Ranger try to tell me we needed lights, horn and a fire extinguisher (on a H16)! After a heated discussion I let him write his citation (he had the gun) and it was later thrown out.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums