Catsailor.com

Smyth Sails

Posted By: RobLyman

Smyth Sails - 01/25/06 07:35 PM

Anyone know if Rany Smyth is still doing sails? If so, how/where do I get in contact with him?
Posted By: PTP

Re: Smyth Sails - 01/25/06 08:09 PM

I would go local, if I were you. He can be hard to get a hold of. Call Schurr sails in Pensacola and they would know (they cut and assemble the designs that Randy makes).
I had good results with Calvert with my new main but you get hit with shipping if you order from a distance.
Posted By: RobLyman

Re: Smyth Sails - 01/25/06 08:23 PM

I may well try Schurr. There is NO WAY I would go with the one local sailmaker here in Jacksonville. While they do an OK job with cruiser sails, repairs and canvas work, I don't think they would have a clue (or clew as the case may be) on how to design a masthead spinnaker for my RC-27.

Re: Smyth Sails - 01/25/06 08:44 PM

I know Calvert does a lot of cat/trimaran work. Check out their website. calvertsails.com
Posted By: Jake

Re: Smyth Sails - 01/25/06 08:55 PM

Calvert builds a lot of big multi-hull sails - I had a very good experience with them on my 'ol 5.2
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Smyth Sails - 01/25/06 09:11 PM

I can very highly recommend Schurr Sails - talk to Hunter. He made a very sweet spinny for the 4.3. It was the best spin in the fleet, my opinion - shape, attachment points and all the nice finishing touches. He took his time in explaining to me the latest materials and colors, and the pros and cons of each. Great customer service.

Also, they just signed on as a sponsor for the Alter Cup.

Make sure you let us know who you pick and how the sails turn out.

Re: Smyth Sails - 01/25/06 09:30 PM

John...
Having since met Hunter and had him fix something minor on my jib I would recommend him as well. That is why I recommended local (love the new main, but would have saved shipping and likely got good quality if I had gone with Schurr)
Posted By: Mike2210

Re: Smyth Sails - 01/29/06 12:56 PM

Rob,
Randy is still doing all types and sizes of sails. He did a great main and jib for me last summer for the 22. Same program as always, he designs and Schurr Sails in Pensacola builds them. His number hasnt changed , its 850 243 WIND (9463). If you cant reach him at that number let me know. I do know he is staying quite busy. Good luck and we will see you at the Miami-Key Largo and/ or Mug Race.
Posted By: thom

Re: Smyth Sails - 01/29/06 03:26 PM

Hello Rob-

I would contact GM Sails. Gordon Myers made the sails for Afterburner and Bill Gibbs is pretty happy with both the sails and price and servise. He also made the roller furling spin for my 22. Obviously the link doesn't work so try the ARC22 owners forum.

thom

[img]http://owners.aquarius-sail.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=19[/img]
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Smyth Sails - 01/29/06 05:38 PM

This is an interesting thread. Who is designing and making cat sails and what boats are they being recognzied for?

Charlie Olgetree/ Ulman Zuccoli program. Tornado
Dave Calvert Calvert/Halsley?
Tony Arends, Racer X, A cat sails
Randy Smyth, Smyth Sails
Peter Vink Performance Sails, F18's
Skip Elliot Nacra Performance Stock Sails
Andy Landenberger Tornado and A cat sails
Greg Goodall A cat sails
XXX, Hyde Sails... Dart?
XXX Gran Segal... Tornado Spinakers

I am sure there are others... Anyone?
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Smyth Sails - 01/29/06 06:12 PM

Glaser sails, Tornado, F-18 and A cats, dont forget Jay.
Performance Sails in the Netherlands, Tornado and F-18s.
Olympic Sails in Australia, Tornados++

BTW: It's Gran Segel, not "segal". They also build a lot of other sails, eg. Tornado main/jibs, and a plethoria of other mono and multihulls.
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Active Cat Sailmakers - 01/30/06 12:43 AM

Charlie Olgetree/ Ulman Zuccoli Tornado Houston TX
Dave Calvert Calvert/Halsley? F boats Florida Keys
Tony Arends, Racer X Sails, A cat Annapolis, MD
Randy Smyth, Smyth Sails all cats. Panhandle Fl
Peter Vink Performance Sails, F18's Tornado's Holland
Skip Elliot Nacra Performance Stock Sails California
Andy Landenberger Landenberger Sails, Tornado and A cat
Greg Goodall, Goodall Sails, A cat, Taipan Australia
XXX, Hyde Sails... Dart England
XXX Gran Segel Sails... Tornado Spins and others Denmark
XXX Olympic Sails Tornado Australia
Jay Glaser, Glaser sails, Tornado, F-18,A cats, California
Gordon Meyers GM Sails Afterburner California ??
Hunter X, Shurr Sails, Panhandle Florida

???
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Active Cat Sailmakers - 01/30/06 02:43 AM

Hunter Riddle - Schurr
Posted By: Lance

Re: Active Cat Sailmakers - 01/30/06 03:23 AM

Ashby Sails - A-Cats, Taipans, Capricorns
Redhead Sails - Various catamarans, poplular among Taipans & Tornados
Goodall Sails - Standard on Flyers, Taipans & Capricorns

All are located in Australia and seem to be the choice of Taipan sailors worldwide.

I have a set of Goodalls and a set from Calvert, both are very nice.
Posted By: phill

Re: Active Cat Sailmakers - 01/30/06 06:16 AM

Folks,

Given the open supplier principles of the F18 class I'd be surprised if there is only one sailmaker making F18 sails in the USA.
Anyone else, including Glaser Sails, making F18 sails in the US.
Given the F18 Nacra and Tiger are using different masts does Glaser make sails for both.

Just curious.
Regards,
Phill
Posted By: grob

Re: Active Cat Sailmakers - 01/30/06 12:50 PM

North Sails do an F18

http://www.northsailsod.com/class/f18/f18.html

Gareth
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Active Cat Sailmakers - 01/30/06 03:33 PM

For our store we just took on a new kid on the block. Whirlwind Sails in San Diego is making great sails for the Hobie Wave and makes sails for any Hobie design as well. Battens from your old sail fit perfectly into the new designs.
Not HCA legal, but they are legal for IWCA (Wave Class).

And the price is right.
Rick
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Active Cat Sailmakers - 01/30/06 07:43 PM

The SailMax.biz F18 (Dave Lennard and Mike Krantz) used Ullman sails (main,jib, and spin) on their Nacra F18 last year. They traveled a lot miles, and sailed at a number of different venues. I can't say they were faster than stock, but they sure weren't slower - go to www.naf18.com and check out the 2005 rankings...

As far as I know, pretty much the rest of the F18 crowd in North America is stock Hobie and Nacra sails. We saw a prototype set of North's about two years ago, but they never seemed to take off.

-Mike
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums