Catsailor.com

bifocal sunglasses

Posted By: carlbohannon

bifocal sunglasses - 02/13/06 07:09 PM

There was a discussion earliar, that included bifocal sunglasses ( for those of us that can't read their sailing watch anymore) If you are in the Houston area, the Windsurfing shop on 2094 (south side of Clear Lake) stocks some. They seemed expensive, ~$150 for polarized. But I just paid $220( with insurance) to have a set of Carrea's made for me. So, they may be a better deal than I thought.
Posted By: hobiegary

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/13/06 07:27 PM

I saw some bifocal polorized tinted safety glasses at a Sears outlet store/repair shop. I think they were less than $20.

GARY
Posted By: hobiegary

Perhaps a better option for reading-sun-glasses - 02/13/06 07:36 PM

Be sure to give Optix 20/20 stick-ons a look.

GARY
Posted By: Jamie Diamond

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/13/06 11:59 PM

I have been wearing bifocal sunglasses for 2 years now. Best thing since snuffer launched spinnakers. I get prescription (I'm nearsited) sunglasses , polarized (for sailing), bifocals (I can't see near anymore), in a Rayban Wayfarer frame (very tough plastic frame). I was really surprised how much I like them, and not just for sailing. I wouldn't have been willing to pay as much before I had them. Having now experienced them they are "worth" more to me.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/14/06 03:43 AM

Jamie's gettin' old . . . !

/Where'd you get those glasses . . . ?
Posted By: Jamie Diamond

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/14/06 03:57 AM

Better than the other options.
Posted By: Jake

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/14/06 01:18 PM

That's better than getting young?

I'm looking into my first set of prescription sunglasses myself. Cary (Zuhl) recently showed me a pair of Recs Specs Torque glasses that he had recently acquired and they were REALLY comfy with padding around the frames that would keep out most spray. Since that last Spring Fever where I sailed 1/2 of the way to the finish line thinking A-pin was the end of the line I've been at least wearing my contacts. We lost two boats in that manuever.
Posted By: dartfast

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/14/06 01:42 PM

Love them - Wal-Mart Supercenter, Vision Center
Sports type sunglasses, bifocal, polarized, Pilot type titanium frames and use a croakie on the boat. For at least three years boat and everywhere. Lots of sun in Florida.
Posted By: Brian_Mc

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/15/06 04:20 AM

Sh__! I need them too... Last season I couldn't see the hole in the cleavis pins...
Posted By: Cookie Monster

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/15/06 01:23 PM

Just picked up my first pair of bifocal sunglasses two weeks ago. I had a pair of Oakley "Straight Jackets" made - polarized, black irridium, coated lenses, etc... $344.00 may be a little pricey, but they're the best thing since two hulls! I can see - everything!
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/16/06 02:43 AM

I can't believe you guys actually like bifocals; sure, they do the job, but...

Another very viable option is called monovision, which can be done with either a contact lens in one eye or LASIK in one eye. You can just use regular sunglasses then. (I love my polarized Maui Jim.) Of course there's pros and cons, just like with bifocals. But it's something to consider and try.

Just a thought from an eye surgeon.

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/16/06 04:49 AM

Eric, After all these years, and I never knew! I don't see how your idea would compensate for someone needing bifocals? I need glasses for both distance and close up. My old Rx sunglasses are OK for distant stuff, but I can't see small stuff at close range. What do you recomend?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/16/06 04:51 AM

Gary:

I am going to try these togehter. Thanks for the optx-20-20 link.

http://www.dirtydog.com/product.phtml?ID=571&PHPSESSID=4116b1b645628c2a3fbe2555d1cd64b0

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/optx-20-20.html

Doug
Posted By: HC16_17_fx

Re: bifocal sunglasses- newsource - 02/16/06 05:15 AM

quick search on ebay saved $15+ on shipping!

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Optx+20%2F20+Stick-On+Bifocals
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/16/06 04:42 PM

Brian,

If you need correction for both distance and near, your dominant eye (ie the one you would aim your camera/gun with) is corrected for distance; the other eye is corrected for near. This isn't a new idea. I (and other doctors) have been doing it for patients with contact lenses for decades and with LASIK for the last several years.

Monovision is not necessarily for everyone, but if it works for you it's a great solution for eliminating or at least dramatically reducing you dependence on glasses. Then non-prescription sunglasses can be used as needed.

There's nothing wrong with bifocals, stick on reading segs, etc, but you should consider all options.

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/16/06 06:22 PM

Thanks Eric! I'll check it out!
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: bifocal sunglasses - 02/17/06 02:09 AM

I (and other doctors) have been doing it for patients with contact lenses for decades and with LASIK for the last several years.

Monovision is not necessarily for everyone, but if it works for you it's a great solution for eliminating or at least dramatically reducing you dependence on glasses.
LASIK worked out great for me. I went with monovision. My left eye is for close up and the right for distance. The doc set the distance for the left for computer use.

The only time I need glasses is for close up precision work. Off the shelf reading glasses work fine.

LASIK has been around for a while. The latest improvements have been with the before surgery measurements. As I remember it was called wavefront but I could be wrong.

All the pre op and post op takes more time than the actual surgery. It's like ten minutes in and out. It was flat amazing when I woke up the next day and could see stuff that had been fuzzy crystal clear.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums