Spin bag or Snuffer

Posted By: thom

Spin bag or Snuffer - 11/26/01 06:30 PM

Which works better for larger spins??? Any observations welcome.<br><br>

Attached File
4239-  (15 downloads)
Posted By: whitecaps

Re: Spin bag or Snuffer - 11/26/01 09:25 PM

Thom - I have an I20 with snuffer, and I have sailed on an F31 using a regular spin bag. While not exactly the same as a cat with a tramp-mounted spin bag, I think there are some similarities.
<br>
<br>In my opinion, the snuffer is the only way to go for anything other than a Worrell-type race. The snuffer is very fast and easy to launch and/or douse the spinnaker, even solo or with a non-sailing guest. When using a bag, you must drop the spinnaker onto the tramp (which is much harder to coordinate), and you also need to stuff the spin into the bag while simultaneously controlling the lowering of the spin halyard. Since the coordination is more difficult when using a bag, it is also easier to accdentally drop the sail into the water or get it tangled on the shrouds, etc.
<br>
<br>Since the Worrell guys are all much more expienced racers than I am, I assume that for long-distance races with world-class crew, the ease-of-use of the snuffer is not required.
<br>
<br>Sail fast and have fun,
<br>Alan Thompson
<br>I20 - San Diego<br><br>
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Spin bag or Snuffer - 11/26/01 09:54 PM

Well when you say bigger spinnaker how big do you mean? Over a certain amount of square footage you can not snuff it anymore and you would have to go with a spinnaker bag on the trampoline system. I think it is 400 square foot maxium but I am not 100% sure.
<br>-Todd<br><br>

Attached File
4246-  (13 downloads)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Spin bag or Snuffer - 11/26/01 10:09 PM

I use a bag mounted on the tramp. I have not had the chance to sail with a snuffer yet. I have found the bag to work well, although I have not done too much sailing with the spin in winds over 12 knots.
<br>
<br>David <br><br>

Attached File
4247-  (22 downloads)
Posted By: sail6000

Re: Spin bag or Snuffer - 11/26/01 10:14 PM

hI Thom
<br>
<br> If its for your Arc. 22 , better have a spin bag and crew with min. 16 inch biceps ,--joking .
<br>
<br>-Bill Roberts --{ARC DESIGNER } -actually patenred the first snuffer back in 1967 --
<br> I am sure he could recommend a superior version for the Arc .
<br>--Can you give us some insight on what the 22 is like to sail and how it responds to a chute .
<br>
<br> Thanks -Carl <br><br>

Attached File
4248-  (14 downloads)
Posted By: thom

Re: Spin bag or Snuffer - 11/27/01 01:01 AM

I haven't bought a spin yet.
<br>
<br>thom<br><br>

Attached File
4258-  (12 downloads)
Posted By: TeamTeets

Re: Spin bag or Snuffer - 11/27/01 02:29 AM

Here is a link to the patent you mention:
<br>http://www.delphion.com/cgi-bin/viewpat.cmd/US03310018__?MODE=fstv&OUT_FORMAT=pdf
<br>
<br>http://www.delphion.com/cgi-bin/viewpat.cmd/US03310018__?MODE=fstv&OUT_FORMAT=pdf<br><br>Mike Teets
<br>Dublin, Ohio
<br>I20 #246
<br>M4.3 #59

Attached File
4263-  (11 downloads)
Posted By: Catalyst

Re: Spin bag or Snuffer - 11/27/01 06:39 AM

Patent applied for in 1965, recognized in 1967. Who says cat sailors are leading edge? This just proves that human's generally resist change. I love my snuffer and am amazed it took me so long to discover asymmetric's and then snuffers. Pardon me for saying so, but anything that makes sailing less difficult might actually attract some new members to our sport.
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached File
4266-  (16 downloads)
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums