Catsailor.com

Centerboards

Posted By: bvining

Centerboards - 03/27/06 05:01 PM

My boards came out nice, I thought I would share them with all of you.

I took some used boards, sanded them, added cotton fabric, epoxy and clear poly

Much better than plain white gelcoat.

Bill

Attached picture 70933-DSC00707.JPG
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 05:18 PM

thats pretty pimp!
Posted By: Jalani

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 06:55 PM

Very cool Bill!

Not sure that that's the pattern I would've chosen, but.............
Posted By: hobiegary

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 06:57 PM

They should not get stolen although, they shall be coveted! Nice work Bill.

By the way, aren't they called dagger boards?

GARY
Posted By: PTP

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 07:04 PM

thats pretty pimp!

well, ya know, pimpin ain't easy

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 09:31 PM

Thanks guys

I was considering doing the whole boat in that fabric. Or a blue version of that same print. Or maybe some kind of stripe down the side. I havent quite decided.

Bill

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 09:33 PM

someone should do a carbon boat like that.

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 09:36 PM

I was considering doing the whole boat in that fabric. Or a blue version of that same print. Or maybe some kind of stripe down the side. I havent quite decided.

or a paisley print, or chintz, or burberry, or batik, or tartan..... what about newsprint?..........

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 10:34 PM

Like what? covered in fabric? or with the carbon exposed?

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 10:38 PM

paisley print, or chintz, or burberry, or batik, or tartan..... what about newsprint

Jalani, you making fun of me? I was going for the surfboard effect, kind of a longboard, old school.

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 10:50 PM

Not at all Bill, I think it's a cool finish. There's so many fabrics to choose from, but you only get one shot at it.

I think I'd go for something like a zebra print? Or then again.......
Posted By: Mary

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 10:55 PM

I will not hesitate to say that your board is the ugliest thing I have ever seen that has anything to do with a boat. In fact, I wouldn't even have that fabric on my windows or my table or my bed.

Forgot to mention that my personal preference would be plaid.
Posted By: Catius

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 11:06 PM

Bill...it's an acquired taste...
You deserve a LOT of credit for trying something new. Most of our boats have just plain boring color schemes. Your centerboard theme makes me think of surfboards or snowboards...Every sport needs cutting edge trendsetters...way to go!

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 11:10 PM

I have thought of painting the top 2/3 of the boards green and the bottoms red. If you see red then you are heeling too much.

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 11:14 PM

You guys can't be serious! Maybe houndstooth check?
Posted By: Dermot

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 11:30 PM

Go on Bill ! Take the cover off

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 11:32 PM

I think Saturday might be the right day.
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 11:33 PM

Bill:

I applaud your daring do! I think it is very cool that you did not stay "in the box." Personally, I would consider doing any other pattern but that one, maybe wood or a more obvious surf print, but it is all personal taste. Thank you for sharing and daring it.

Later,
Dan

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 11:35 PM

Like what? covered in fabric? or with the carbon exposed?

Clear coated with carbon under it. Popular in the aftermarket car scene.

Re: Centerboards - 03/27/06 11:46 PM

What are you going to do to stop the epoxy (is that what you used?) from yellowing?

GARY
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 12:06 AM

How about paisley or...

...HAWAIIAN SHIRTS?!?!

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 01:10 AM

What are you going to do to stop the epoxy (is that what you used?) from yellowing

Gary,
I used a two part poly - System Three WRU-LP, its water based and has UV in it. So it shouldnt yellow. And yes I used epoxy to glue the fabric down.

Bill

Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 01:16 AM

Speakin of pimpin'... Bill since your pretty much settled down with the fam. and etc do you think there is any chance I might be able to borrow your boards to pick up some chicks? I'm into the whole floral board shorts and they would go together perfectly!
-Todd

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 01:19 AM

The hulls came out of the molds with the carbon showing on the outside and I wanted to just clear coat it and leave the carbon showing, but I was advised against it because it would get to hot.

But, otherwise it would be cool looking. Thats how I got to print fabric.

Bill

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 01:20 AM

I will not hesitate to say that your board is the ugliest thing I have ever seen that has anything to do with a boat. In fact, I wouldn't even have that fabric on my windows or my table or my bed.

Mary has just convinced me to do the whole boat in this print.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 01:30 AM

Bill:

Well at least they would see the boat you coming a mile away. Collisions should be a thing of the past (LOL LOL GRIN).

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 02:11 AM

Actually, I think it would look better if you put that fabric on the sails so they match the boards.

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 02:27 AM

Actually, I think it would look better if you put that fabric on the sails so they match the boards

I hadnt even thought about a spin in that print. Brilliant!

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 02:36 AM

do you think there is any chance I might be able to borrow your boards to pick up some chicks? I'm into the whole floral board shorts and they would go together perfectly!

Todd,
If you think it will help, I'll make you a set.

Bill

Posted By: Jake

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 04:27 AM

Bill:

I applaud your daring do! I think it is very cool that you did not stay "in the box." Personally, I would consider doing any other pattern but that one, maybe wood or a more obvious surf print, but it is all personal taste. Thank you for sharing and daring it.

Later,
Dan

Dan,

Doesn't that match your rash guard exactly?
Posted By: Jake

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 04:28 AM

Bill:

Well at least they would see the boat you coming a mile away. Collisions should be a thing of the past (LOL LOL GRIN).

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

As should the race committee ever wondering which boat was actually OCS.
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 06:39 AM

Love the flowered boards--nice work.
Rgds,
Eric
Posted By: Steve_Kwiksilver

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 09:16 AM

Have to be the coolest daggerboards I`ve ever seen - amazing idea, Bill, think you`ve just started a trend. I can see it now - catsailors getting all fashion-conscious about their appendages

I reckon they would look great with an all-white boat, if you overdo the idea it won`t be as striking.

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 12:06 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 01:32 PM

Gary,
Can I borrow your shirt?
Posted By: Tom Korz

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 01:34 PM

I'm into the whole floral board shorts and they would go together perfectly!
-Todd

Why am I not surprised Todd

See you at Madcatter 30

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 01:37 PM

they would look great with an all-white boat, if you overdo the idea it won`t be as striking.

Steve the rest of the boat will be a bright white paint.

Beams are carbon clear, tramp is black, boom is carbon clear, rudders carbon clear with white rudder stock.

Dont worry, I'm not going to go over board (pardon the pun)

Bill
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 02:28 PM

Ahh there it is !

I wondered where my ironing board had gone to.

Wouter
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 02:35 PM

Bill:

What type of boat? I think I am going to get a Nacra 4.5 for Ashleigh (grand daughter 12) as a starter boat for her. She want her own boat and want to race.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 02:41 PM

nacra 4.5

Wouter

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 02:50 PM

Wouter you made me laugh, nice work.
Its a Martin Fisher profile, so its no "ironing board"

Doug,

For your granddaughter, get a wave. And when its honking you can go out on it by yourself. Its a blast, trust me on this one. Put a single trap on it. take it out when the windsurfer and kiteboards show up.

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 04:36 PM

Jake:

You are right it is pretty darn close the the rash guards we wear. That might look really cool to have a picture of us double trapped and showing a board like that. I really like it now! Maybe I would pick that design after all.

Later,
Dan
Posted By: HangOver

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 08:50 PM

That looks awesome, I might just have to have a go at something like that. What did you do about wraping the fabric round the board to avoid it wrinkling where it bends round the edges or did you use a different sheet for each side of the board?

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 09:23 PM

I used a different sheet of fabric on each side. Do one side at a time and spend the time squeegee - ing out all the bubbles and excess resin. Let the fabric hang over the edge. Use some nylon peel ply on top of the fabric to help smooth out the fabric and absorb any excess resin. That way you get a nice smooth surface once you peel off the peel ply. Wait at least overnight before peeling off the peel ply, then trim the edges with a sharp knife and clean up the edges with a light sanding sanding with 100 grit.

Hit the whole thing with a light sand of 100 to get out the major bumps followed by a even sanding of 220 wetsand. Use a block and hand sand it so you dont go thru the fabric.

Cover it with a clear 2 part poly, I used System Three WRU-LP. Go light on the coats and use more coats vs less thick coats. Sand this out (320-1500) for a mirror finish. If you are going to wet sand the final finish, put on at least 4 coats and wait 2 weeks for the finish to finish curing and harden up.
Posted By: Catius

Re: Centerboards - 03/28/06 09:34 PM

I can see a major summer fashion trend coming here...Watch the catwalks from Paris to New York.
Posted By: HangOver

Re: Centerboards - 03/29/06 06:54 PM

Cheers that looks really helpful, I'll let you guys know how I get on. Assuming I get started that is
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Centerboards - 03/29/06 09:08 PM

Hmmm, I not laughing at this. There are some other possibilities.

I have some smooth thin expanded teflon fabric, might work well on boards

or

How about some coarse polypro fabric for noskid

And by the way, fabric is light, colored paint is heavy

Carl

Re: Centerboards - 03/29/06 09:14 PM

Carl, what do you mean that colored paint is heavy? Do you mean red paint is heavier than white paint?
Posted By: fin.

Re: Centerboards - 03/29/06 09:25 PM

Never bothered weighing them, but that's how it feels.

Re: Centerboards - 03/29/06 09:54 PM

Carl is right on the money. A thin cotton fabric is lighter than paint, which is heavy and furthemore paint doenst add any structure. Cotton fabric actually adds some structure, some stiffness, etc.

Paint adds nothing other than weight. Aside from sealing the surface and blocking the UV and making it look nice.

Re: Centerboards - 03/29/06 09:57 PM

or

Be careful with the adhesion of your fabric choice and epoxy. Teflon and polypro would be suspect.

The other thing I was thinking was a shiny sticker like material. Like a window film, reflective. That would work too, just stick it on and done.

Bill

Re: Centerboards - 03/29/06 10:45 PM

or

Be careful with the adhesion of your fabric choice and epoxy. Teflon and polypro would be suspect.
The other thing I was thinking was a shiny sticker like material. Like a window film, reflective. That would work too, just stick it on and done.
Bill

Guys/ Gals, Please tell me that this nightmare will not continue past Sat 1st April

Re: Centerboards - 03/29/06 11:14 PM

Hey Mermot,
How about some Shag rug covering.

Or that astroturf type fabric.

Bill

Re: Centerboards - 03/30/06 12:02 PM

Hey Mermot,

Bill

Not for me That would only be suitable for A Class sailors who need something soft to sit back against downwind because there is nothing else to do

Re: Centerboards - 03/30/06 12:09 PM

Hey Mermot,

Bill

There is a story about a skipper getting irritated that another boat always beat him so one day he put on his scuba gear and went under the other boat and attached shag carpet to the hull. He won everytime after
Posted By: fin.

Re: Centerboards - 03/30/06 12:19 PM

Clear plastic works just as well. A submerged 5 gallon bucket is even better.
Posted By: steveh

Re: Centerboards - 03/30/06 06:18 PM

When good ideas go bad. It looks like the fabric choice is critical!

[Linked Image]

Re: Centerboards - 03/30/06 06:42 PM

Bad? I think that is a great looking car.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Centerboards - 03/30/06 06:53 PM

When good ideas go bad. It looks like the fabric choice is critical!
There was a line from a Clint Eastwood movie that went something like, "Anyone who would do something like this to a fine machine deserves to have his butt removed."

Re: Centerboards - 04/04/06 10:40 AM

Okay, bvining, I am not going to let this slide down the line on the forum. Regarding your board decor, is it or is it NOT an April Fool's joke? Enquiring minds want to know, but only the gullible or the skeptical are actually willing to ask.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums