Catsailor.com

VX 40 Videos

Posted By: Jalani

VX 40 Videos - 03/27/06 09:11 PM

Some superb video footage of the Volvo X 40s racing in Rio here: VX40 media page

You must check out the first 30 secs of Overview Day 1-3 Part 1!!

Awful weather though on the final day.

Yay, go Basilica! Brits on top!!
Posted By: PTP

Re: VX 40 Videos - 03/27/06 09:43 PM

I wanted to post something about this..
Why the heck did they feel the need to speed up the footage at times? It irritates me- I don't think it was my player. What, is it "boring" unless they speed it up?
Some parts are in slow motion- which I can understand. Call me high maintenance, but it irritated me
Posted By: Sycho15

Re: VX 40 Videos - 03/30/06 04:43 PM

A lot of it was light wind, and yeah that's boring to see racing boats bob around barely moving...

Those are some very fine boats- 40' beach cats! I'd like to see them zipping up and down the FL coast line but I'm afraid we're probably to shoal here for them to come in close.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: VX 40 Videos - 03/30/06 05:14 PM

That was cool, any reason why they are all using Screechers instead of spinnakers? I mean, it seems to be working for them, but I was wondering why no spinnakers.
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: VX 40 Videos - 03/30/06 07:18 PM

That was cool, any reason why they are all using Screechers instead of spinnakers? I mean, it seems to be working for them, but I was wondering why no spinnakers.

Easu of handling around the cans I assume.

Also, they need sheeting tight!

Next time I see Will I'll ask him.
Posted By: Jake

Re: VX 40 Videos - 03/30/06 11:41 PM

they use screachers because they build too much apparent wind for a soft luff spinnaker to stay full.
Posted By: Jalani

Re: VX 40 Videos - 03/31/06 08:28 AM

Why are you looking at sail cofigurations?

I want to sail in a class where it's a requirement to have a nice young lady in a bikini on board!!
Posted By: Wouter

Re: VX 40 Videos - 03/31/06 09:06 AM

Is that really the case ?

I mean do they really sail that much faster then an Olympic tornado which used a soft luff spinnaker. That is without accellerating the movie material to make it appear that way. As far as I know even the Volvo Ocean and the Race boats had soft luff spinnakers in their suit of sail next to their code zero's (or what they call a screacher)

Personally I think it has alot more to do with the fact that a screacher of that size is easier to handle than a spinnaker of that side.

Try to hoist and snuff a 75 sq. mtr. spinnaker. Compare that to furling or unfurling a similar sized screacher.

Wouter
Posted By: phill

Re: VX 40 Videos - 03/31/06 11:21 AM

John,
I'm with you.
It's all about priorities.
Regards,
Phill
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: VX 40 Videos - 03/31/06 04:59 PM

I want to sail in a class where it's a requirement to have a nice young lady in a bikini on board!!

I am sure that if I could afford a VX40 I could get plenty of nice young ladies in bikinis to sail with me. I may not want too many as distractions while racing, but I will bet they would be on the beach watching and waiting...If that were my priority.

Later,
Dan
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums