Catsailor.com

2-UP CLUB accepting new members

Posted By: TEAMVMG

2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/08/06 07:01 PM

I figure that most of us have gone 1-UP pretty often, thats why we are here.
I reckon that before we die, we should all go 2-UP for a moment. I was lucky enough to fulfill this ambition on Paul Larsen's Seacart 30 in Portland harbour this winter and also lucky enough to get the attached photo which is surely good enough validation for my membership of the 2-UP club.
Any more applicants with decent validation?
Applications to be submitted on this thread and approved/turned down by popular opinion.

Paul [2-UP Club member 001]

I know that this is a bit lame but you gotta humour me as I am going out of my skull waiting for my Infusion to 'Clear customs'

Attached picture 72661-PA088670.jpg
Posted By: BobG

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/08/06 08:39 PM

What a name. "Infusion" sounds like Ford or you have to "?Ride eeit' like one" and it needs a lot of spare parts. Is "Emacerator" already trademarked
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/08/06 09:16 PM

cajones.

Muchos Cajones.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/08/06 09:17 PM

What a name. "Infusion" sounds like Ford...
Ford has a history of names that don't quite work. They named one car the Pinto and then wondered why the rear end blew up. And how about the Probe? I bet the seats were very uncomfortable.
Posted By: H17cat

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/08/06 09:27 PM

Mike, we had both a Pinto and a Probe. Both were great cars and fit our needs at the time.
Caleb
Posted By: Catius

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/08/06 09:28 PM

Fabrication Ordinaire, Reparation Difficile

At least, that is what the French used to say...

Not sure how we got to the Ford topic here...The 2-UP picture is pretty awesome I must say...Isn't that a rather risky moment there, or is everything under control?
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/08/06 09:45 PM

Mike, we had both a Pinto and a Probe. Both were great cars and fit our needs at the time.
Caleb
The Pintos had an excellent 4 speed transmission. A friend of mine would hit wrecking yards and buy them for his race car.
Posted By: Zee

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/09/06 04:15 AM

The 2-UP picture is pretty awesome I must say...Isn't that a rather risky moment there, or is everything under control?

My thoughts exactly
Posted By: Andrew

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/09/06 04:29 AM

cajones.

Muchos Cajones.

A "cajon" is a box...you may be referring to the OP's large hairy "cojones"...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/09/06 05:03 AM

Zee:

I thought the F boats did that all the time. And the big racing tris? Didn't they do that in the Awesome tri video in another thread?

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com
Posted By: Banzilla

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/09/06 06:00 AM

Holy S..t
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/09/06 08:27 AM

Catius,
At the time of that pic, we were trying to get the whole of the daggerboard out of the water. That done , the 2-UP got a bit more graceful and a lot faster through the water [see pic]
I must thank and credit Jeremy Evans for the pictures

Paul

Attached picture 72713-PA088664.jpg
Posted By: hobiegary

not a member but perhaps one day in the near future - 04/09/06 09:12 AM

Paul,

Thank Mr. Evans for me too. Nice photography.

I wonder; What is the sensation as you leave the water line length of the big hull and land on the thinner and, (I think,) shorter hull?

Doesn't look anywhere near as graceful as a catamaran. It does look like stability is easier to achieve, however. I'd guess that thing would broach and tumble over her windward hull, or pitchpole over her bows, before she'd flip sideways over her lee hull. Just a guess though.

Fifteen years ago I head that tris could do that. Today we get beautiful photos all over the internet to prove it.

Lovin' it!

GARY
Posted By: hobiegary

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/09/06 09:18 AM

I propose that your 2-up club allow members who have photographic proof of taking a catamaran completely airborne, also.

Now if I only had a full time photographer chasing me all of the time.

Congrats on the new N F18-in! That baby's got bows. She's got a nice high back side too.

GARY
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: not a member but perhaps one day in the near future - 04/09/06 01:26 PM

Fifteen years ago I head that tris could do that. Today we get beautiful photos all over the internet to prove it.

ORMA tris have been doing it since their inception. Have you never seen Martin Raget's photos before? Is this the first time than an internet aficianodo like Gary has ever seen a tri flying two hulls?
Posted By: fin.

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/09/06 01:36 PM

Gary:

Here ya go! Circa 1980?

http://www.torsten-hengstmann.de/segeln/download/videos.htm

I don't know of any thing earlier than this. (attached).

Attached picture 72731-1802.jpg
Posted By: Andrew

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/09/06 03:03 PM

I thought the F boats did that all the time.Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

No, the F boats have about 90% buoyancy in their amas; they can (sort of) launch their vaka off a wave, while the leeward ama stays down, but cannot fly the vaka in a steady fashion.

Yes, the ORMA tris do fly their vakas to weather...but I bet there are few if any of their sailors here.
Posted By: tami

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/09/06 03:12 PM

Two-up, at least somewhat if maybe not so high up, isn't that uncommon in Fboats. Have seen the daggerboard several times aboard F24mkII (M. Parsons, excellent sailor) and once aboard my F27GS (blowin' stink, almost accidental).

Maybe both hulls weren't actually flying, but it sure felt like it and I figure if I can see the 'board on an Fboat that's two hulls up.
Posted By: Mary

Re: 2-UP CLUB accepting new members - 04/09/06 03:30 PM

Rick has been two-up on an F-25C and maintained it for about two miles with the rudder mostly or totally out of the water, and steering with the sails. But, the F-25C is a very light boat.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums