Catsailor.com

say hello to my little friend

Posted By: Robi

say hello to my little friend - 04/14/06 05:41 PM

Well I was going to buy this GPS unit.
[Linked Image]

BUT My wife did not like it. She said it was NOT "cool" enough so instead she told me to buy this one:
[Linked Image]

IMA HAPPY SAILOR! cant wait to get on the water and test it. Although I can use it in my car, bike, boat shoot I can even use it for my jogging, rollerblading sessions. Very happy indeed! Nothing like cool gizmos
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/14/06 06:05 PM

She wanted you to buy the cooler, more expensive one ... I've never heard of such a thing happening. You should get your wife to offer training seminars for other wives.

What are you going to do to waterproof it?

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/14/06 06:52 PM

It is waterproof/submersible and even floats. I will get one of those dry bags for it anyway.

Posted By: mbounds

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/14/06 07:14 PM

say hello to my little friend

Be careful who you say that to. You might be misunderstood.
Posted By: chrisun

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/14/06 10:10 PM

Well I was going to buy this GPS unit.
[Linked Image]

BUT My wife did not like it. She said it was NOT "cool" enough so instead she told me to buy this one:
[Linked Image]

IMA HAPPY SAILOR! cant wait to get on the water and test it. Although I can use it in my car, bike, boat shoot I can even use it for my jogging, rollerblading sessions. Very happy indeed! Nothing like cool gizmos

What's the difference? What makes is the second one so much cooler?
Posted By: steveh

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/14/06 10:30 PM

The C in the name means [color:"red"]C[/color][color:"green"]O[/color][color:"blue"]L[/color][color:"yellow"]O[/color][color:"brown"]R[/color]!
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/14/06 11:12 PM

The C in the name means [color:"red"]C[/color][color:"green"]O[/color][color:"blue"]L[/color][color:"yellow"]O[/color][color:"brown"]R[/color]!
Can you replay episodes of Lost?
Posted By: fin.

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/15/06 12:56 AM

She wanted you to buy the cooler, more expensive one ... I've never heard of such a thing happening. You should get your wife to offer training seminars for other wives.

What are you going to do to waterproof it?

My wife told me I should get a NEW boat, so I ordered a Blade!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/15/06 01:26 AM

Pete:

Have you got your Blade yet ? Think I told you I an getting a Mystere 4.3 for Ashleigh to sail with friends once she learns to helm and us to learn spinnaker on and we got a free sunfish that needs sails. Get 4.3 at Ocean Springs Slip to Ship.

Doug and Ashleigh Snell
Hobie 17
Sunfish
Soon to be Mystere 4.3
www.tcdyc.com

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/15/06 01:44 AM

And the x at the end means the neXt generation GPS units.
Posted By: Galeo

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/15/06 01:51 AM

Whats the difference between Cx and CSx?
Posted By: Zee

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/15/06 05:36 AM

Garmin has some amazing products.

My dad wanted me to get this

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino520/#
[Linked Image]

Because he gets worried when Im sailing alone and wants to make sure Im ok. The best part is that he can track me down if I ever got lost or needed help.

It also has an electronic compass and a weather reciever.
Posted By: fin.

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/15/06 01:12 PM

Doug:

I'm still waiting, should be around mid-May. Hoping to make JPOR as a debut.
Posted By: bullswan

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/15/06 01:54 PM

I couldn't live without my Garmin Streetpilot GPS unit. I pack it when I go away after preloading the addresses of my hotel and/or attractions I want to see and get off the plane, plug it into the rental car and off I go like I know my way around a strange city. Very cool stuff. Transferrable from car to car so that if my wife goes somewhere I can load her destination in the unit and she can not only find her way there but coming back she just has to push the RETURN HOME button and I know she is going to be able to get back. It's been teriffic. Works on the snowmobiles too. The voice that gives the directions is a pleasant Irish lady we have named Veronica. She's like one of the family. I'm not sure how I would use a GPS on the water though. Maybe just in a fast moving fog but I don't often get that while sailing.....

Greg
P.S. My wife bought me this unit as well!
Posted By: Timbo

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/16/06 12:58 AM

Is she the same Veronica from that great Elvis Costello song??
Posted By: bullswan

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/16/06 04:28 PM

Yup! The same Veronica.
My father-in-law has the same unit and his girl is Annika.
He tells me sometimes he makes the wrong turn just so he has someone to talk to......
I sneak into his car every once in a while and change the voice and language to Spanish or Greek or Vietnamese.... so he can meet someone new. He never even mentions it. It's a running gag now.
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/17/06 03:36 AM

btw, they say those things are "waterproof" but its all a bunch of BS.

They aren't "catamaran waterproof"

Put them in a drybag when you take them on the cat.
Posted By: catman

Re: say hello to my little friend - 04/25/06 03:13 AM

One other bit advise is keep the screen out of the sun when possible while in the bag. I toasted a area of the screen on my G76. I think the bag had a small fold in it that magnified the light enough to do the damage.
Posted By: acdavis

Re: say hello to my little friend - 05/19/06 07:39 PM

I was just wondering with these GPS units, where do you put them while you sail? Can you see the screen while on the wire? I've never used a GPS and am toying with the idea of getting one.

Thanks,

Adam

Re: say hello to my little friend - 05/19/06 09:43 PM

I do not use them. I give them to my crew. I dont like to take my eyes off the road.
Posted By: Jake

Re: say hello to my little friend - 05/21/06 03:37 PM

I was just wondering with these GPS units, where do you put them while you sail? Can you see the screen while on the wire? I've never used a GPS and am toying with the idea of getting one.

Thanks,

Adam

For this year's Tybee, we put a Garmin 72 GPS taped to the boom in a dry bag - it gave me a decent reference when the sun wasn't shinning on it (then I couldn't read it through the glare). Frank carried a Garmin Etrex Legend in his lifevest pocket and did teh majority of the navigation from the wire. I saw that Spacecoast had taped two Garmin Gecko's (tiny little things) to each shroud - I thought that was a neat idea but I have my doubts if it would survive being submerged during a capsize.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums