Poor Guy - 04/21/06 02:48 AM

[Linked Image]

Resist Not!!!
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 03:18 AM

Someone should go tell JC that he should be dead :P
Posted By: steveh

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 03:39 AM

Did the West Antarctic Ice Sheet collapse?!?!?

The pelicans are a nice touch.
Posted By: NCSUtrey

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 03:40 AM

Are those Key Sailing pelicans?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 03:51 AM

Dan:

Good job. Reminds me of Waimea Bay !!

Ride Ride the Wild Surf.

Doug
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 06:59 AM

Pelicans? Vultures would be more proper

Cool image/poster!

Posted By: bullswan

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 12:31 PM

This points out EXACTLY why my crew thinks I should name the boat "OH SH*T!!!". They claim I say it (lets be generous and say) frequently. Maybe I do, I'm usually too busy to notice.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 01:52 PM

Poor guy? He's about to win the leg! Surely he's the only one that got off the start line!
Posted By: Mike Hill

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 03:10 PM

If he would sheet in he could beat that wave to the bottom.

What a maroon.

Mike Hill
www.stlouiscats.com
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 05:05 PM

Poor guy? He's about to win the leg! Surely he's the only one that got off the start line!

That was "a good day to die" out there, wasn't it..... Good times..
Posted By: SunnyZ

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 05:10 PM

Well, that certainly ranks on the Oh-$hit-O-meter.

I wonder how many pieces of his boat he took home.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 05:45 PM

This points out EXACTLY why my crew thinks I should name the boat "OH SH*T!!!". They claim I say it (lets be generous and say) frequently. Maybe I do, I'm usually too busy to notice.
Following that line of thinking, mine should be named "F*** ME!!"

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 06:29 PM

Wendy:

That photo has been doctored. It was from the Worrell (sp)race one year. Mast was broken, but the wave was made to look REAL big here. They lost a lot of boats that year. BUT it still would have scared the crap out on me. Big waves and cats are not fun!!

Doug
Posted By: Mary

Re: Poor Guy - 04/21/06 09:08 PM

I THOUGHT that looked familiar! It looks like one of Rick's Worrell photos. (Of course, a lot of photos taken during the Worrell 1000 looked like that. )

Re: Poor Guy - 04/22/06 04:58 AM

Mary:

I don't know the exact year but Andrew Tatton told me it was the year all the boats where torn up in the surf. The had to cancel one of the starts and trailer the boats left to the next start. Ask Rick he will know. The photo has been changed to make it look at lot worse. But even small scale, it would have scared the carp out of me.

Doug

Re: Poor Guy - 04/22/06 08:14 AM

I don't think that particular picture necessarily has any relation to a particular year or particular leg of the Worrell 1000. To me, that is just a typical-looking Worrell 1000 picture of a cat coming in through big surf to the finish line at the beach. We have lots of pictures that look like that. And I'm sure the other photographers do, too, over several years.

I doubt if it was a picture from the "big devastation." The year all the boats were torn up in the surf was 2001, when they were on Leg 3, trying to LEAVE Jensen Beach and get out through the surf to get to Cocoa Beach. Only five boats made it out through the surf and many of the rest ended up in pieces on the beach.
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Poor Guy - 04/22/06 12:13 PM

Mary

That picture was of JC leaving Jenson beach. The boat was going through a breaking wave. JC did not make it and the boat flipped over backwards. The photo here has been changed to make the wave bigger. Walter Cooper took the photo and it was printed in Sail Magazine (July 2001).

Posted By: Jake

Re: Poor Guy - 04/22/06 12:40 PM

Here's the original before Dan unleashed his photoshop on it....actually, this one must have been in a series just before the one dan used.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 73985-worrell.jpg

Re: Poor Guy - 04/22/06 05:01 PM

Was Walter in a helicopter? I guess he had to be. That is the first time I have seen a picture of a boat coming out through the BACK SIDE of a wave like that. Awesome!
Posted By: ReefedOne

Re: Poor Guy - 04/22/06 09:48 PM

Well, that certainly ranks on the Oh-$hit-O-meter.

I wonder how many pieces of his boat he took home.

Ahhh!... that'll buff right out...

Re: Poor Guy - 04/22/06 10:51 PM

Here's the original before Dan unleashed his photoshop on it....actually, this one must have been in a series just before the one dan used.

[Linked Image]
Jake,
If the picture Dan used comes after this one, that means the guy stayed on the boat through the submarine impression he is doing here. How did he do that?

Did you ever see David Letterman do the velcro suit skit? I don't even think that would have worked.

Re: Poor Guy - 04/23/06 04:41 AM

[Linked Image]
Jake,
If the picture Dan used comes after this one, that means the guy stayed on the boat through the submarine impression he is doing here. How did he do that?

Did you ever see David Letterman do the velcro suit skit? I don't even think that would have worked.

I can only imagine...that's one hell-of-a wave - but it's amazing what adrenaline can do. There were what? 11 teams that tried to launch that day and only 2 made it through those waves. There was a sandbar located a little further out that presented a second break to get through too.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Poor Guy - 04/23/06 02:32 PM

That last sandbar was a third break, and what wiped out our team. As near as we could reconstruct, the breaking wave went through the tramp, ripping it off. It took a loooong time for our boat and sailors to get back to shore, and we worked well into the night rebuilding a boat.

As far as "sticking" to the tramp in that picture, keep in mind that they're pulling more than 1 gee as the boat is climbing through the wave, and the front beam is deflecting much of the force that would sweep the deck. That feeling is one I call "elevator UP!"

I'm glad nobody was hurt that morning - oh, and four boats, I think, made it out. The Canadian team subsequently wiped out in the re-entry at Cocoa and had to rebuild a boat with the rest of us... and it seems like one team dropped out somewhere in between checkpoints...

Re: Poor Guy - 04/23/06 02:57 PM

Here is the report from the Race Director, May 8, 2001:
"5 boats successfully made it through the surf line at start -- Alexander on the Bay, Guidant, Outer Banks, Dinghy Shop, and Fully Involved.

"The Race Director halted the launch after numerous boats were destroyed in the surf. The remainder of the boats will be trailered to Cocoa Beach, FL checkpoint, and the race will continue with proper recogniton for the 5 teams that successfully launched this morning."
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Poor Guy - 04/23/06 04:13 PM

[Linked Image]

This is the orginal. It was taken, from the sky, just before they were going over backwards in the surf. I saw a different picture and thought I would share that with you.

Later,
Dan

Re: Poor Guy - 04/23/06 04:47 PM

That last sandbar was a third break, and what wiped out our team. As near as we could reconstruct, the breaking wave went through the tramp, ripping it off. It took a loooong time for our boat and sailors to get back to shore, and we worked well into the night rebuilding a boat.

As far as "sticking" to the tramp in that picture, keep in mind that they're pulling more than 1 gee as the boat is climbing through the wave, and the front beam is deflecting much of the force that would sweep the deck. That feeling is one I call "elevator UP!"

I'm glad nobody was hurt that morning - oh, and four boats, I think, made it out. The Canadian team subsequently wiped out in the re-entry at Cocoa and had to rebuild a boat with the rest of us... and it seems like one team dropped out somewhere in between checkpoints...

Goosebumps and cold shivers.....

Re: Poor Guy - 04/24/06 02:00 AM

Ha ha, that's freakin hillarious! Walt took hat picture overhead in Cocoa Beach the day after we put the boat back together after we lost it in Jensen in '01. The waves weren't bad in Cocoa, but as we went out I looked up and this nasty face was comin right for us! I grabbed around the front crossbar and held on for life. Unfortunately, Jay was swept off of the back by the wave and had to body surf in. Luckily, the mast didn't go bang like it did in Jensen, and with the help of the other teams ground crews we made repairs (only a few broken battens) and went back out. They took video of it too from the chopper. There we were just cruising along in the shot and the next second it was all over. Good times indeed.

Re: Poor Guy - 04/24/06 02:18 AM

So, you're the poor guy... Nice ride. I can't believe you stuck on the boat. You're like spiderman or something.

In the second pic that Jake posted, are those your legs sticking out of the surf to the right? Or maybe that is Jay making his exit?
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Poor Guy - 04/24/06 02:26 AM

JC is just a --Freak of Nature.

Re: Poor Guy - 04/24/06 05:46 PM

Hey Sunny,
Yep those are my legs. As I grabbed the crossbar, in an effort to keep as much weight forward as possible I brought my feet in front of the daggerboard wells. Too bad Jay didn't make it in the picture. He's kinda shy, oh and he was a few feet under whiteout. In one of the shots in she sequence you can see something that resembles his feet, but that's about it.

Re: Poor Guy - 04/24/06 06:07 PM

Hey Sunny,
Yep those are my legs. As I grabbed the crossbar, in an effort to keep as much weight forward as possible I brought my feet in front of the daggerboard wells. Too bad Jay didn't make it in the picture. He's kinda shy, oh and he was a few feet under whiteout. In one of the shots in she sequence you can see something that resembles his feet, but that's about it.

That's great! I am impressed that you could think 'keep weight forward, hang onto the crossbar and throw my feet in front of the daggerboard' I would be thinking 'me gonna die'
LOL.

Just kidding (I hope) Time and experience will tell.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums