Catsailor.com

Adhesive removal

Posted By: jdaf31r

Adhesive removal - 04/30/06 01:24 AM

Whats the best way to remove the adhesive from nonskid tape? I've tried a hot air gun, Acetone, Adhesive remover. They are all a mess and don't seem to work as easy as I think they should.

What else can I try?
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: Adhesive removal - 04/30/06 01:49 AM

3M has an adhesive remover. You will have to get it from industrial supply place.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Adhesive removal - 04/30/06 04:57 AM

What kind of adhesive?
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Adhesive removal - 04/30/06 04:17 PM

Goo-Off - make sure you use it outside
Posted By: hobiegary

Paint Remover - 04/30/06 08:03 PM

I've heard good things about the 3M remover. I've used paint remover too. You apply it to the sticker, that's the whole sticker! (BassOmatic) and let it soak. You then take a disposable rag and wipe it all away. I used the stuff in the golden yellow spray can.
[Linked Image]

It has not harmed my gel-coat or anodizing, but it did strip the paint off of an aluminum cleat.

GARY
Posted By: carlbohannon

Re: Adhesive removal - 05/01/06 02:06 PM

Older adhesives are dissolved in a mixture resembling paint thinner. The newest adhesives do not depend on the evaporation of a solvent and can be hard to remove.

I would start with the paint thinner, then 3M adhisive remover, D-Limone (pure concentrated orange cleaner) opps, goo-off, "Latex paint remover", 3m 5200 remover and finally chill it and scrape it off.

Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Adhesive removal - 05/01/06 07:29 PM

Oops! is da kine brah! Available at Ace Hardware stores.
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Adhesive removal - 05/02/06 01:18 AM

Older adhesives are dissolved in a mixture resembling paint thinner. The newest adhesives do not depend on the evaporation of a solvent and can be hard to remove.

I would start with the paint thinner, then 3M adhisive remover, D-Limone (pure concentrated orange cleaner) opps, goo-off, "Latex paint remover", 3m 5200 remover and finally chill it and scrape it off.

Amen to that Taking adhesive off old beaters is a cinch compared to what I ran into on our "new to us" van. Letters are eight years young and some dandy adhesive indeed. Acetone (my personal favorite) will do nothing more than spread it over a larger area guess I'll spring for 3M product next.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Adhesive removal - 05/02/06 03:45 AM

on really old crusty stuff, use a razor blade to remove the vinyl - leave the crusty adhesive underneath. Then take a rag soaked with acetone and lay it on top of the adhesive for a minute or two (the rag keeps the acetone from evaporating so quickly). Then, carefully, use the razorblade to scrape up the adhesive - it will come up like butter. Keep a clean rag to clear the razor blade often. Then you can rub down with acetone to remove the little tiny leftovers.
Posted By: Chris9

Re: Adhesive removal - 05/02/06 11:26 AM

Buy the 3m product direct, great service, much less markup.

http://www.3m.com/
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums