Catsailor.com

Mug Race

Posted By: Bob_Curry

Mug Race - 05/07/06 01:34 AM

Any word on who has finished??

BC
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Mug Race - 05/07/06 02:44 AM

Any idea of the winds? It was pretty light, maybe 5-10, down here in Sebring.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Mug Race - 05/07/06 07:38 PM

Order of finishers I saw:

Robert Lyman - RC27
Eddie Young - Hobie 21
Mike Kelly (?) - ARC 22
Bill Roberts - RC30
Mike Tierney - RC27
David Ingram - F18
Brett Moss - A cat/w spin
Richard Shipes - I20
Richard Rayburn - Hobie 21

40 seconds seperated first and second.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Mug Race - 05/07/06 09:25 PM

Congrats Ding! Stayed up there with the big boats! What were the conditions like?
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Mug Race - 05/07/06 10:49 PM

Thanks Jake.

From a post I put on 1design.net:

Conditions were pretty much as forecast, 10-15 from the west. Except it was very gusty and we had gusts well over 15 lasting for no more than a minute then completly shutting off. The period was probably 5 minutes or so... I'm sure it was longer but I was getting tired. It was one of those in and out kind of days.

Dave
Posted By: RobLyman

Re: Mug Race - 05/08/06 12:30 AM

Your'e not kidding about the gusts! That section just prior to the zigzag south of the Shands Bridge had some monster gusts and some remarkably light winds too. After balsting along in a gust for almost 2 minutes straight we hit a big NOTHING. It was gradual. One second we were going over 20 kts and over powered. A second later the sails are empty but the boat is still coast ahead with the sails acting as a speed brake.

Great job on the race! As the number of boats in front of us got smaller and smaller, the sailers sailing them got better and better. It was no surprise to see you up there in second place for what must have been a substantial part of the race.
Posted By: dacarls

Re: Mug Race - 05/08/06 03:55 AM

The Jacksonville Times Union has a pretty good story in the Sunday paper, with some excellent pics- of the first 6 or so cats. See it all on-line by signing up free. The list of finishers is on page C3 (I didn't see it on-line). NOAA predicted W,W,W,W,W for the day. HAH! It was SW then NW, then nothing, then light NW with puffs and long holes. Maybe the AVERAGE was W. I expect that Rob Lyman has fulfilled a life wish- Way to go Rob!
Posted By: Kaos

Re: Mug Race - 05/09/06 08:02 PM

Full results can be found at www.sailjax.com

Cheers
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums