Catsailor.com

Sail Tubes?

Posted By: dannno

Sail Tubes? - 05/15/06 09:09 PM

I'm into my second season looking for a sail tube and am still coming up empty. Just really looking for some 10 or 12 inch PVC to make my own. Any time I see any lying around, the contractor is not interested in selling. I've priced this stuff new, and at $10-12/foot it pretty pricy.

Don't think there are too many members from Central New York (Syracuse area), but does anybody have a line on some old PVC or an exisiting sail tube?

Danno
Posted By: jmhoying

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/15/06 10:12 PM

Danno,
Did you check on the price of thinwall PVC, which is used for underground heat ducts in commercial buildings / cement slab houses. I think you can get 14" for around $9.00 a foot. Not cheap, but the extra diameter is a bonus. Check with a local HVAC contractor that does that type of work. Maybe they will have some left over from a job??
Jack
Posted By: SteveT

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/15/06 11:32 PM

I've found the black drainage tubing like that used on highway projects and farms is the best bet. It is rigid and sturdy, and has a smooth inner liner. I got 10 feet of 18-inch diameter tubing with a cap on one end for about $100. It can hold three or four sails, my boom with blocks and line, a tiller, and rudder connecting arm. It doesn't get much cheaper than this.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/15/06 11:54 PM

Where did you find it? Can you get it at Home Depot or Lowe's?

Doug
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/16/06 12:57 AM

Where did you find it? Can you get it at Home Depot or Lowe's?
Irrigation supply companies will have it.
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/16/06 07:50 PM

We handle the black corrugated pipe. It comes in various sizes, probably you will want the 12" double wall (smooth inside) with end plugs. They are manufactured by ADS (Advanced Drainage Systems) www dot ADS-Pipe dot com. Some local Home improvement stores will carry it. They come in 20' lengths, we sell 1/2 lengths but most do not cut them. As a ref. you can figure aro $5 per ft. plus the end plugs.

Too expensive to ship that so local will be the best bet. I've used that before and works well.

Clayton
Posted By: dannno

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/17/06 12:04 AM

I'm glad you mentioned the black coragated pipe. That is available and less expensive then PVC. I was concerned about whether the black pipe has any residue that will get on my sails? Any streaking problems on the sail???

If not, that's probably the way I will go.

Danno

Danno

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/17/06 02:06 PM

My sails were usually in a sail bag, but no problems as long as you keep the tube clean.
Posted By: hobiephil

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/17/06 07:36 PM

I use 24" single wall ( fits 3 sails, booms, tiller extentions). Very light, very strong, corrugation allows damp sail to dry, tube does not mark sails.
Bonus, for 24" size tube, 32 gal garbage can top fits perfectly as end cap.

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/17/06 09:22 PM

Where do you mount the 24" tube? I haven't measured but it seems like it wouldn't fit.

C
Posted By: SteveT

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/18/06 02:54 AM

The ADS tubes are the ticket. Get a semi-permanant cap for the front and mount it so the "bell" end is facing the back and make a removable cap for the back and you're set. Mine has been in use for four seasons with no signs of wear.
Posted By: bullswan

Re: Sail Tubes? - 05/18/06 12:43 PM

I like to line the inside with something like astro-turf so that the bags slide in better and are up off the tube itself. Just 2 cents.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums