Catsailor.com

prindle 16

Posted By: rickt

prindle 16 - 06/26/06 10:14 PM

I have be looking at prindle 16 to buy. I had a hobie 16 and I like it but i sold it.

I have been told that a prindle 16 would be easier to sail by myself. Also , because of the hull design the prindle is much harder to pitch poll. Anybody have any feedback on this subject.
Posted By: Jake

Re: prindle 16 - 06/26/06 11:22 PM

I don't know about it being easier to sail single handed - they both should be about the same in that regard. The Prindle 16 does have a little more volume and is a little more resistant to pitchpole ... but I wouldn't say that difference is staggering either. Either way, I don't think you could go wrong.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: prindle 16 - 06/27/06 12:25 AM

I liked the P16 in the mentioned setup.

I also sailed the H16 alot although I never owned one, singlehanded it too.

I personally prefer the P16 because it is indeed a little more pitchpole resistant and to my opinion a little more suited to solo sailing. But as Jake says the difference is not staggering.

Indeed, you can't go wrong either way.

Wouter
Posted By: ejpoulsen

Re: prindle 16 - 06/27/06 04:36 AM

I believe the Prindle 16 has less sail area, which could facilitate singlehanding.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: prindle 16 - 06/27/06 08:32 AM

I believe the Prindle 16 has less sail area, which could facilitate singlehanding.

It was mostly the lower overall weight and the fact that it is a little easier to right.

The difference in sail area is about 1 sq. mtr. in the mainsail (11 sq. ft) and a 0.5 sq. mtr in the jib (5 sq.ft.)

The boat as a whole goes better upwind then a H16 while the H16 goes better downwind. But none of the differences are to big though.

Wouter
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: prindle 16 - 06/27/06 10:15 AM

yes, the Prindle is easier to get up from capsize on your own.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums