Catsailor.com

Hull Id markings-18 Catamaran

Posted By: SoLouisianaHobe18

Hull Id markings-18 Catamaran - 07/18/06 01:45 PM

I am interested in knowing whether all 18' Hobie Cats have hull numbers "engraved" on one of the fiberglass hulls. I am looking at a boat which was likely built in the 1980s' and is in nice condition, but has none that I can find. Does this indicate the boat is irregular in some way?
Thanks.
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Hull Id markings-18 Catamaran - 07/18/06 02:07 PM

Look on your boat to see the exact location. I don't remember if its on both hulls (I think so) but I know for a fact it was listed on the port hull stern just under the deck lip to the right of the rudder. I might be concerned if the ID numbers are gone.

Clayton
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Hull Id markings-18 Catamaran - 07/18/06 02:09 PM

if the hulls were ever refinished then they could have been removed.
Posted By: _flatlander_

Re: Hull Id markings-18 Catamaran - 07/18/06 02:55 PM

serial numbers

The arrow in the photo of this link shows location of numbers for most Hobie models. It is engraved with a vibrating pencil in the gelcoat. No stamps or plates, look closely.
Posted By: WindyHillF20

Re: Hull Id markings-18 Catamaran - 07/18/06 03:22 PM

I have 3 18s' all have numbers on sterns. Very light engraving just below the lip to the right of rudder gudgeon. The numbers should match.
Posted By: DVL

Re: Hull Id markings-18 Catamaran - 07/18/06 10:45 PM

Serial numbers are on the stern. I have a 3 digit number engraved in the hull on dished area of the rear crossbar. Any ideas why? The boat & hulls are original, 1989 Worlds Hobie 18
Posted By: KMarshack

Re: Hull Id markings-18 Catamaran - 07/19/06 05:12 AM

Can you describe the graphics? In '89 the Worlds were held in Monterey, CA.. Those boats were usually on the heavy side. In '91 the Worlds were held in Gaeta, Italy, and 5 of the boats were delivered to US. The French number their hulls differently. I thought there was a 4 digit number stamped into the trampoline track, Starbord side. If you describe the graphics I mey be able to solve the mystery.

Ken
Posted By: MJ44

Re: Hull Id markings-18 Catamaran - 07/19/06 12:50 PM

The last 2 digits of the serial number are the year of build.
Posted By: catman

Re: Hull Id markings-18 Catamaran - 07/19/06 07:39 PM

if the hulls were ever refinished then they could have been removed.

.....or the transoms have been rebuilt. No big deal as long as a good job was done. Make sure the hulls and decks don't have any soft spots. That would be a bigger issue.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums