Catsailor.com

Nacra line specs?

Posted By: h17racer

Nacra line specs? - 08/04/06 10:32 PM

Anyone know of a Nacra reference guide for various sheets/lines/shock cord size and length specs? I am soon to be the proud new owner of a 5.5 Uni and find the factory documentation lacking a bit(i.e., state the length but no diameter, etc.).

A bit ago, there was a discussion regarding frustrations with the rudder pull down line and cleat. I have searched for that thread to no avail. Anyone recall it who could point me?

Thx, Tom G
Posted By: Jake

Re: Nacra line specs? - 08/05/06 12:02 AM

Tom - great boat! I think you will be pleased.

I have heard all the grumbling about the pull down cleat but I never had a problem with either of the Nacras I owned (5.2 and 6.0). There is a trick, however, and that is to purchase cheap polyester 12 strand knobby line from a hardware store to use for your rudder hold downs (their regular 1/4" line - Lowe's has it white with a red tracer). This stuff grabs really well in the v-jam cleats and I never had a problem with it including several distance races (two with over 20 hours straight on the water). My rudders never eased at all. I probably wouldn't use that line anywhere else except to tie auxillary stuff to the trailer in a pinch.

I think people run into problems when they use a slick high-tech line and it's too hard and slickery to hold fast in the v-jam cleat.
Posted By: h17racer

Re: Nacra line specs? - 08/05/06 09:29 PM

Hi Jake, thanks for the line tip. Anything else Nacra wise will be appreciated.

Sail fast, Tom G
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums