Catsailor.com

Hull Shape Question

Posted By: nhsailor

Hull Shape Question - 08/10/06 10:04 PM

I've got a 79 H16. Thinking about a new boat of some sort next year.

In looking at new boat options, seems the H16 is the only boat with rockered hulls? I like the idea of a brand-new H16 since I'm familiar with it, but can't help wonder if the shape of the hulls is somewhat outdated.

Is my assumption that a hull shape with less rocker has advantages over the old H16 design?
Posted By: Vinny_M

Re: Hull Shape Question - 08/10/06 11:19 PM

Funny, I was under the impression that the newer models had more of a curve built into the hulls. I could be wrong though, so it would be best to investigate the matter. Maybe mmiller could help us out with this one because I'm at a loss.
Posted By: Banzilla

Re: Hull Shape Question - 08/11/06 02:39 AM

Is this worth buying a ticket for???
Posted By: warbird

Re: Hull Shape Question - 08/11/06 05:40 AM

Unless you sail in surf do yourself a favour and go out on any daggerboarder of 16 or over. I took an H16 freak out recently on my old Hydra (16 foot Tornado copy) and he was shocked by how benign and well behaved it was. You can just go out in stronger weather if you need to be "on the edge".
The great thing about going from H16 to say an F18 (apart from speed) is that your reactions will seem superhuman. You will need to learn a little more about sail tech and trim. Those old Hobies are strong platfroms though eh!
Outdated is kind as far as the hulls are concerned.
only opinion so don't wet yourself if you love your H16.
Posted By: jollyrodgers

Re: Hull Shape Question - 08/11/06 07:08 AM

you will find that the gcats have a well curved rocker line.
there was a year when a gcat 21 almost won the worrell 1000. the write up claims the g21 was quite abit faster than thae tornado, and did well to windward inspite of having no daggerboards.
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Hull Shape Question - 08/11/06 10:48 AM

nh sailor,

Are you in a position to try modern 16 or 17 ft boat ?

If so try one, you'll know the difference soon enough.

In the way of 16 footers I can help you get on a boat, crews enough that will take you for a ride. It has been done often in the past.

Where are you located

Wouter
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums