Catsailor.com

Repair Clew Plate (rivets?)

Posted By: nhsailor

Repair Clew Plate (rivets?) - 08/14/06 12:25 PM

The clew plate on my jib has popped all it's rivets and seperated. Is there a special rivet I need to get to replace what's there? Any tips?
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Repair Clew Plate (rivets?) - 08/14/06 12:39 PM

Sailrite.com has the rivets you want, and a new clew plate if you need one. If you are buying new rivets, get the tool to install them also.

I prefer to hand-stitch clew plates on to my jibs. More work as you need custom clew plates (we make them ourself), but you can easily see any wear and fix it before they break. Not a solution for you I am afraid, as you would need to install new reinforcement patches to take the thin thread instead of rivets.

If the clew plate has come loose, how old is this jib? Perhaps it is due for replacement anyway..
Posted By: nhsailor

Re: Repair Clew Plate (rivets?) - 08/14/06 01:39 PM

Yes, it is old. I can't replace the sail at the moment though. I need a quick fix, I'll look at the hardware store for aluminum rivets.
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Repair Clew Plate (rivets?) - 08/14/06 03:22 PM

years ago I fixed a ripped out clewplate using small stainless steel screws. Worked for a long time.
Posted By: Eric Anderson

Re: Repair Clew Plate (rivets?) - 08/14/06 03:52 PM

You may need to use small stainless bolts if the rivit holes are enlarged/ corroded too much. YOu can also get washers for 1/8" rivits that act as little backing plates. The original rivits were probably peened. These don't seem to last as well standard rivits aplied with a rivit gun.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums