Catsailor.com

Square main for N6.0

Posted By: Krisu13

Square main for N6.0 - 08/30/06 06:27 PM

Could someone provide dimensions for square main sail for NACRA 6.0 na?
I’m trying to upgrade my boat and my sail-maker needs those dimensions to make one.

Do you know any sail-maker that makes them already? Possibly someone has one for sale? It can be used one.

Thanx

Kris
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Square main for N6.0 - 08/30/06 07:18 PM

Could someone provide dimensions for square main sail for NACRA 6.0 na? I’m trying to upgrade my boat and my sail-maker needs those dimensions to make one.

To me that sounds kind of fishy and I would probably try somebody else. I would expect a sailmaker to have that or at least know a way to figure that out.

Jonathan Grant
boatless
Mesa, AZ
Posted By: Jake

Re: Square main for N6.0 - 08/30/06 08:05 PM

yeah - I second that. If your sailmaker doesn't have any experience building catamaran sails, I would look elsewhere. Three big names come to mind that would have direct experience building a sail for a Nacra 6.0. This list is not complete but this is where I would start:

Elliot Patterson : makers of most of the factory Performance Cat sails - they do a lot of different multihull stuff and could certainly put together a square head for a 6.0 (they built/designed all the I20 and the older Nacra F18 square head sails).

Calvert Sails : builds a lot of competitive multi-hull (tri) sails and does a good number of beach cat sails...I ordered a Pentex square top main for my ol' 5.2 as well as a new dacron jib from Calvert and was very pleased with both sails.

Smyth : I know he is back making sails but I'm not certain where or what shop he is working out of. Smyth has probably done more beach-cat sail development than any of the other US sailmakers.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Square main for N6.0 - 08/30/06 08:30 PM

Randy's production loft - Schurr Sails

They made a fantastic 4.3 spin for me, and they're really up on mainsail design as well. They build the sails that Randy designs, or you can work directly with Hunter - really nice guy.
Posted By: SoggyCheetoh

Re: Square main for N6.0 - 08/30/06 08:34 PM

Randy made a square top main for my Nacra 6.0. The difference in the boat was night and day. Worth every penny.
Posted By: Eric Anderson

Re: Square main for N6.0 - 08/30/06 08:36 PM

go with a known multihull loft.

Glaser Sails
Smyth Sails
North Sails NJ (Henry Bossett)
Ullman sails (Charlie Ogltree)
Saber sails
Calvert Sails
Elliot Pattison

Don't reinvent the wheel with a loft that does not make sails for rotating masts.

Cheers,
Eric
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Square main for N6.0 - 08/30/06 09:02 PM

Guys:

Try Chip at www.whirlwindsails.com
His SuperR is sweet and customer service is great. Good prices as he is the same as I paid 4 years ago for my Hobie 17 squaretop.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17 "Stress Free"
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Square main for N6.0 - 08/30/06 09:16 PM

chip at whirliwind does great work and so does skip elliott - the sail on my avitar is a EP Squaretop

Attached picture 84516-tripoint06c.jpg
Posted By: Krisu13

Re: Square main for N6.0 - 08/31/06 05:29 PM

Thanks for those advices. The sail maker that I was taking about is a local guy that fixes all kind of sails. He told me to get him dimensions and he will see what he can do.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums