Catsailor.com

Macho Man April 12-13, 2003

Posted By: dartfast

Macho Man April 12-13, 2003 - 03/01/03 10:17 PM

Macho Man April 12-13, 2003-- Not just a drag race. This is for Bragging Rights on a over 60 mile multi-faceted distance race. From Davis Island, down the length of Tampa Bay, Under the Skyway Bridge, Up the Gulf, through Hurricane Pass, to Dunedin Causeway beach.

This race was used as a tune-up by the winners of the 2002 Worrell. It's FREE! If you survive, stick around for Mini Macho Man the next day which is a combination distance with a couple of buoys thrown in. See the NOR.

In 2002– First Worrell boat was third at Macho Man

Second Worrell boat was first at Macho Man

Third Worrell boat was second at Macho Man

Tenth Worrell boat fifth at Macho Man

Brought to you by the reknowned Tampa Bay Catamaran Sailors Inc. (TBCSI)

Posted By: JeffLoSapio

Re: Macho Man April 12-13, 2003 - 03/20/03 03:42 PM

Where can I find a copy of the NOR? Looking for more details about the race. Never been before, and we're traveling from Annapolis.

Thanks
Posted By: dartfast

Re: Macho Man April 12-13, 2003 - 03/21/03 10:19 PM

TBCSI Macho Man Regatta Information:
April 12-13, 2003
Dunedin Florida

NOR is at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TampaBayCatSailors/files/
or
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TampaBayCatSailors/files/MachoMan2003.jpg

The NOR is kind of large on my computer and I have to scroll around to see the whole thing. Or I have to enlarge it to read because it is too small, Life in the computer age.

Macho Man -- Not just a drag race. This is for Bragging Rights on an over 60-mile multi-faceted distance race. From Davis Island, down the length of Tampa Bay, Under the Skyway Bridge, Up the Gulf, through Hurricane Pass, to
Dunedin Causeway beach. This race was used as a tune-up by the winners of the 2002 Worrell. First Place 1000 Winners Alexanders on the Bay (Brian Lambert/ James Livingstonon) came in 3rd at the TBCSI Macho Man: Worrell 1000 2nd place Team Tybee Island (Steve Lohmayer/Kenny Pierce) had a 1st at TBCSI Macho Man: 10th place Worrell 1000 Team Fully Involved/Space Coast (Mark Herendeen/Les Bauman) came in 5th at the TBCSI Macho Man. They honed their readiness at our Macho Man Race.
It's FREE! If you survive stick around for Mini Macho Man the next day, which is a combination, distance with a couple of buoys thrown in. See the NOR.

There is a good Nautical Chart and links at the bottom of our old Tornado Nationals site
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/tbcsi/index.html
About 28 55 N 82 27 W is Davis Island
About 28 05 N 83 54 W is Honeymoon Island (Land at Sail Honeymoon)
The Skyway bridge is the major channel at the bottom of the chart

Logistics is up to the crews:
Some leave their boats at Davis Island Friday night on the city beach (Not the Davis Island Yacht Club) the club got upset last year so stick to the public beach which is just before the gates to the club. (there is no arrangements made, you take the chance on storage and on the sailing) then drive over to Honeymoon Island to drop off the trailer at the Dunedin Causeway and stay at the hotels in Dunedin. It is good if one person has a camper and stays with the boats but that is up to the group of sailors not
TBCSI. Sat morning they get a ride to the boat (less than and hour from Dunedin) and their road crew or someone takes the car back to Honeymoon Island.

After the Macho Man Big Distance Race all your stuff is at Sail Honeymoon ready for the Mini Macho on Sunday which is another distance race, shorter ~ 30+ Miles and there is a fee for that one but in that race you return to the same beach and it is a friendly beach for tare down.

Some reasonable accommodations near Honeymoon Island are: (rates were $40-$50 in the off season)

INN ON THE BAY 727 734-7689

Sailwinds 727 734-8851

Holiday Inn Express 727 450-1200

Some of the Guys on the Form http://1design.net/ have been part of the race and have the "out of town twist" on the Macho experience. I'm sure they would help if they are not in one of their Smack or Stank modes.

I would be surprised if more Worrell boats don't show up considering the Alter Cup ends the day before the Macho Man and it is right in the same area.

Hope this has been a help for you,

Terry
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums