Catsailor.com

Inter 20 Upgades

Posted By: Ventucky Red

Inter 20 Upgades - 06/15/10 11:38 PM

I have a line on a older Inter 20 that the owner tells me will need some of the upgraded stuff - rudders etc....

Are these important upgrades? If I acquire this boat it will me used mainly for recreational ocean sailing and some of our local distance races.

Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Inter 20 Upgades - 06/16/10 12:42 PM

I had an older I-20 (2000) that I upgraded with gen 3 rudders, self tacker, mid-pole snuffer, and a 10:1 main sheet, and side laced trampoline. As far as rudders go, many that sail the 20 like the 1st gen rudders best, some like the 3rd gen rudders. I felt that the 3rd gen rudders were more foregiving. The only reason that I did the upgrade is that my rudders were stolen and I replaced them with 3rd gens. The self tacker is a no-brainer, do it. If I remember correctly, the jib for the self tacker is a bit different than the other jib, so you may need a new jib also. I really liked tha 10:1 main over the 8:1, but there is a bit more line to deal with. Upgrading your tramp to a side laced one is a good move also, you will be able to keep the tramp a lot tighter. We all know a tight tramp is far better than a loose one! If your not going to be racing much, there is no reason not to upgrade to a mid pole sniffer, your end pole will be fine.
Posted By: Biggie

Re: Inter 20 Upgades - 06/16/10 05:31 PM

There was a pair of Nacra rudders (G3) on ebay last week.
Posted By: Ventucky Red

Re: Inter 20 Upgades - 06/16/10 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
I had an older I-20 (2000) that I upgraded with gen 3 rudders, self tacker, mid-pole snuffer, and a 10:1 main sheet, and side laced trampoline. As far as rudders go, many that sail the 20 like the 1st gen rudders best, some like the 3rd gen rudders. I felt that the 3rd gen rudders were more foregiving. The only reason that I did the upgrade is that my rudders were stolen and I replaced them with 3rd gens. The self tacker is a no-brainer, do it. If I remember correctly, the jib for the self tacker is a bit different than the other jib, so you may need a new jib also. I really liked tha 10:1 main over the 8:1, but there is a bit more line to deal with. Upgrading your tramp to a side laced one is a good move also, you will be able to keep the tramp a lot tighter. We all know a tight tramp is far better than a loose one! If your not going to be racing much, there is no reason not to upgrade to a mid pole sniffer, your end pole will be fine.

Any idea on what all of this cost? The reason I'm asking is I am comparing this to another boat that has this done.
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Inter 20 Upgades - 06/16/10 08:40 PM

It's been a few years since I made those upgrades. I do not recall the costs. Sorry.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums