Catsailor.com

Upper Tang Carbon Mast Repair

Posted By: Frank0

Upper Tang Carbon Mast Repair - 08/31/11 04:59 PM

Hi,

Just purchased a N20 and first day out boat flipped on the beach. Result...the upper tang where the diamond wire attaches to the mast ripped down and needless to say requires repair. I am not familiar with repair involving a carbon mast. Has anyone had this happen before and/or do you have any suggestions on how to remedy this situation. crazy I have a picture showing the damage but I need to figure out how to include the picture in a post. Thanks for any help you can offer. Frank0

Posted By: Capt_Cardiac

Re: Upper Tang Carbon Mast Repair - 09/02/11 04:12 PM

I haven't seen this happen but flipping a boat on the BEACH has a few distinct differences from flipping on the WATER. The principles of repairing a carbon mast are going to be similar to repair of fiberglass. If you don't have anyone nearby with carbon experience then i would seek out a competent fiberglass man to look it over. sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Dlennard

Re: Upper Tang Carbon Mast Repair - 09/27/11 09:40 PM

What year is the boat? How many holes are in the tang? The reason I ask is the early boats had a problem with the diamond tangs pulling out and Nacra had a kit which was a threaded rod that went through the mast and the tangs on the lower hole to keep the tangs from pulling off. I think they added more holes in the tangs on he newer boats.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums