Catsailor.com

type of corrector weight

Posted By: Antilag

type of corrector weight - 03/09/08 10:04 PM

We usually use some diver'S weight strapped on the dolphin striker when we race, but we would like to see what other teams are using especially when flying abroad. I don't see myself will lugging 10 pounds of lead in my baggage.

The rules only says that the weight has to me removable for inspection. Can I used some type of water container that I could fill with sand? Being not as dense as lead, the container would be much bigger and water hitting it would drag the boat down. Any suggestions? We will probabl need between 5 to 10 lbs weight.
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: type of corrector weight - 03/10/08 12:08 AM

We usually use some diver'S weight strapped on the dolphin striker when we race, but we would like to see what other teams are using especially when flying abroad. I don't see myself will lugging 10 pounds of lead in my baggage.

Send it with the boat! Or are you chartering?

Re: type of corrector weight - 03/10/08 12:09 AM

Oops, it's going to be a charter. I should have specified this.
Posted By: Codblow

Re: type of corrector weight - 03/10/08 10:23 AM

buy some lead when youb get there, from plumbers merchants, in uk they keep it for lead flashing on roofs comes in flat strip of different widths can be wound round things and taped , folded flat and strapped on , whatever
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: type of corrector weight - 03/10/08 12:42 PM

Rules state lead MUST be used.
Posted By: pitchpoledave

Re: type of corrector weight - 03/10/08 04:31 PM

I think they should change this to use some other material. Lead is extremely toxic. Even touching it some rubs off and gets into your system.
info on lead

Re: type of corrector weight - 03/10/08 05:49 PM

Thanks to all. I did not see in the rules that lead in mandatory. It's actually for the Worlds in Spain. I don't want to bet on a hardware store to have lead, but I'll try to find a dive shop locally to by the lead.
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: type of corrector weight - 03/11/08 09:03 AM

Very common for Hardware stores to have lead flashing for sale. Also, try around the boat park. I am sure there will be plenty that may be available for a couple of rums
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: type of corrector weight - 03/11/08 05:43 PM

When I went to the Worlds in France I bought the lead weight at a dive shop...easy. They had these really cool .5KG weights that were rather flat so I could string them out and bond them to the beam with tape. Did not even notice them.

Later,
Dan
Posted By: Stewart

Re: type of corrector weight - 03/15/08 03:29 PM

hey do what the manufacturers do.. Put in solid heavy glass plate cases and fill the area around with extra resin.
Good way of getting around the weigh restriction
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums