Catsailor.com

Mainsheet System

Posted By: Twister

Mainsheet System - 02/09/09 03:23 PM

I would like to replace my standard 8:1 mainsheet/travellor system with new lines and blocks, as they are getting old.
I would like to have the dead end for the traveller to be split and dead ended off to each side. I have seen this on a few A's, as it allows the travellor to be closer to centerline.
What type of line is best for this, the blocks I have purchased are for 6-10mm line.
Thanks
Posted By: mikekrantz

Re: Mainsheet System - 02/09/09 04:49 PM

I've done it two ways. if you're using one of the single braid products - maffioli or Robline Racing sheet, splice a piece of 1/8" spectra into the tail to give you a "Y" split. If you're using a double braid product like Endura Braid. Pull the core out about 12" from the end, brummel it back through the cover, and whip in place. Theat will give you a core on one side, and cover on the other side of the "Y".

If you want a mainsheet with the "Y" splice already in place, PM me.
Posted By: NacraKid

Re: Mainsheet System - 02/09/09 11:27 PM

Lots of options on the sheets.
Maffoli, Alpha rope and soft ropes like these are nice on the hands but wear out very quickly if you use them alot.
On the F18 atm we have Marlow Excel Fusion 75, works nicley, had it all season, been used loads and its still in good nic, its got a advantage over maffioli that it has a core.
Also tapper your sheet where it goes into the blocks, cuts down resistance through the blocks.
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Mainsheet System - 02/10/09 12:19 AM

[Linked Image]

I spliced the traveler rope four ways. bit of an effort but worked out very nice.
Posted By: Baltic

Re: Mainsheet System - 02/10/09 10:55 AM

Did you do the splicing by yourself or can the rope be bought like this!
Posted By: NacraKid

Re: Mainsheet System - 02/10/09 05:23 PM

You can get people do this, but its fairly easy to do it yourself
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums