Catsailor.com

Hobie Tiger becomes olympic?

Posted By: Baltic

Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/15/09 01:01 PM

http://www.sail-world.com/europe/IHCA-recommends-Hobie-Tiger-for-2012-Olympic-consideration/55459
Posted By: pitchpoledave

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/15/09 01:45 PM

I think this is wishful thinking. This would destroy the F18 class. Not right away, but give it a few years.
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/15/09 02:05 PM

How will it impact the F18 fleet?
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/15/09 05:10 PM

Not a bit
Posted By: NacraKid

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/15/09 09:35 PM

were already a long way down the line on this one at sailing anarchy
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=88596
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/16/09 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by NacraKid
were already a long way down the line on this one at sailing anarchy
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=88596

I thought that topic was on birdwatching ? like the native "double breasted mattressthrashers"

wink
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/16/09 01:02 PM

True, true! Page two had some interesting bits.

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/16/09 01:06 PM

F18 class is all about having a level playing field. This idea has worked very well in spite of the Tiger one design class. Hobie is again trying to drive a wedge into the fleets out there. We are too few in numbers now to play that game. You just can't favour 1 manufacturer in an open class and have long term success in that class and I think that ISAF knows that. They don't want to hurt the F18 class and so they won't pick the tiger.

I think that a change in the Tornado class to a 1 design/1 manufacturer boat and possibly 1 sailmaker would be the best choice.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/16/09 01:30 PM

Dave, the Tornado Class has proposed that change and published some nice brochures... the problem is that the Class hasn't voted on the changes apparently, and there are several vocal members who are saying they oppose the change. If the 11th medal comes back and the Tornado is selected as equipment, followed quickly by a Class revolt against one-design... I have no idea what would happen. Which really isn't much different than the last couple of years, now that I think about it... crazy

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/16/09 01:47 PM

Well maybe Randy Smyth was right when he said that we should just do our own thing.
Posted By: macca

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/16/09 03:06 PM

The Tornado Class hadn't voted for the big rig (square top and kite) befre it was indroduced for the games but it was voted in by the class.

Nor did the class have a lot of support for the carbon rig until it became clear that it was critical to maintain the Olympic status so again it was voted in.

If the 11th medal happens then I can't think of a better boat than the Tornado to take the spot.

Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/19/09 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams
Dave, the Tornado Class has proposed that change and published some nice brochures... the problem is that the Class hasn't voted on the changes apparently, and there are several vocal members who are saying they oppose the change. If the 11th medal comes back and the Tornado is selected as equipment, followed quickly by a Class revolt against one-design... I have no idea what would happen. Which really isn't much different than the last couple of years, now that I think about it... crazy

The T proposal for the OLYMPICS is one-design. No need, in theory, for the class to vote on it. The Olympic boay will just be a "one design T".

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/20/09 06:14 PM

I don't think the tiger will get any where as F18 class has voted against the F18 being olympic, it would be strange for them to allow it over that

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/21/09 11:02 AM

... the F18 class (international?) has voted against being olympic? Any idea why?
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/21/09 12:38 PM

160 boats registerd for the worlds? doing nicely without it thanks!

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 04/21/09 03:24 PM

they voted against it because being a olympic class is quite often a negative more often than a plus. Boat prices can rise and there is then a larger amount of pro sailors, meaning that events like the worlds fewer ameuters can go
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 05/06/09 11:33 AM

If the 11th medal happens then I can't think of a better boat than the Tornado to take the spot.

Macca has undeniably a point here.

And while I'm not a fan Marstrom in the way of designing (does not include production designing in this case, which Marstrom is very good at), I still say.

Why not use this opportunity to completely redesign the Olympic catamaran along the lines of the Volvo VX-20 boats (20 x 10 x sloop x spi).

These still use the Tornado carbon mast, Tornado sails and Tornado rudders but have a complete new and modern platform. With daggerboards, carbon everywhere and strickt member driven One-design rules ?

Would still be relatively easy and inexpensive for the current Tornado owners to migrate to the new boat as most parts can be exchanged. It would have a flying start as the rig is already dialed in. And the arms race has ended without time consuming procedures like votings. Also because everything is already carbon and so what is there to upgrade ? Hell, also include the cuben fibre sails under strickt area, cloth weight and shape rules (leaving the seaming etc open to allow for tweaks) and have the most modern and egalitarian design in the Olympics which is also the fastest for decades to come !

Without any risk to the F18 class !

Wouter

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 05/08/09 09:53 AM

Are these VX-20 boats already commercially available? I couldn't find anything on Google ...

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 05/08/09 04:24 PM

What i think the VX-20 boats are is just a M20 with a jib, (and maybee other changed features). I found pics or Herbert Derkson sailing one t Texel in 2007, which looks just like a M20
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 05/08/09 10:23 PM

What i think the VX-20 boats are is just a M20 with a jib, (and maybee other changed features).

It has raced a few times at other Dutch events as well.

It is not however a M20 with a jib. Or rather while it looks likes that, it isn't. It is the M20 platform (hull+beams) with a Tornado carbon mast and a suit of sails based on the Tornado rig. I'm not sure as to what width it is. The M20 always used the Tornado rudder setup so that is probably still the same. Anyway it is not a M20 with an after market jib. It is a marriage between the M20 and Tornado designs.

And that is why changing over to that concept will be practical. The crews just change out platforms + daggerboards and use for the remainder the old gear of their Tornado's.

Wouter
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 05/09/09 11:49 AM

VX20 is as Wouter says roughly an M20 with a Tornado rig.
The M20-GTI however is an M20 with a jib and spin, the forestay is the same setup as used by the Tornado.
The main difference between the two is that the M20 mast is a little taller compared to the Extreme 20.
You can compare the two more precise by analyzing their Texel Rating:
http://www.watersportverbond.nl/zeilen/Content.aspx?sid=2&cid=129&mid=&mnu=241
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Hobie Tiger becomes olympic? - 05/09/09 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by NacraKid
they voted against it because being a olympic class is quite often a negative more often than a plus. Boat prices can rise and there is then a larger amount of pro sailors, meaning that events like the worlds fewer ameuters can go

How many more pros would attend the premier F18 events if the Tiger became olympic? 20? 40? Would that number change as F18s evolve and become faster while the SMOD Tiger stays the same?

I dont see an evaluation event coming up for 2016 if multihulls are reinstated. I just dont think there is time for it unless ISAF and IOC decides this year. The logical choice seems to be the Hobie Tiger as a SMOD package, especially as this would mean that ISAF for once chooce an olympic class by their own rulebook for olympic selection (sic). I would love to see an evaluation event though, especially if that ment that multis were back for the long haul!

© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums