Catsailor.com

Mainsheet purchase

Posted By: Sloansailing

Mainsheet purchase - 09/21/10 06:07 PM

I have been told that the max purchase for mainsheet in the F18 rule is 10:1, but I cannot find any mention of a max purchase in the class rules. Does anyone have any input?
Posted By: F18_VB

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/22/10 12:14 AM

There is no max purchase for F18. There is (or at least was) for the Hobie Tiger class.

Don't go over 10:1. Because of increased drag, it won't be easier to pull and you will have to pull more to do the same work. Even my girlfriend can handle 9:1. Don't be a wuss.

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/22/10 01:40 AM

We are trying a 2:1 cascade fine tune leading up the boom, which from the 8:1 primary purchase gives the crew 16:1 and leads out from the gooseneck. Not much more friction than just the 8:1. That way the crew is not twisted around trying to trim on the aft sheeting, and it is a lot easier to pull (though more line), which for my wife after sailing 3 long races in 20 TWS is a big deal. Got the idea from a friend with an 18HT who sailed with his girlfriend, it was the only way she could trim the main in breeze.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/22/10 02:02 AM

The tornado's had a multi cascading system, I don't know the final purchase though.
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/22/10 08:58 AM

Sloan: Can you put up a drawing of your layout?

The standard purchase for the Hobie Wildcat is actually 11:1, I have 9:1 on the Tiger which IMHO is enough.
I know of at least one person who used 12:1, but in the gusts you are sheeting a lot of line.
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/22/10 12:42 PM

Tornado 16:1

[Linked Image]

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/22/10 03:45 PM

Here is a paint drawing. After talking with my wife we may eliminate the cascade, as she says she doesn't need that much purchase. We may go up to 9:1 and simply lead the other end of the mainsheet up the boom to a ratchet (as in the other drawing), to eliminate the aft sheeting for the crew (the ultimate point of all this...)

Attached picture mainsheet arrangement fine tune.jpg
Attached picture mainsheet arrangement.jpg

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/22/10 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tornado_ALIVE
Tornado 16:1

thought about this but it doesn't solve the problem of aft sheeting for the crew, plus its a lot of stuff that has to run along the boom, its too small to run inside. Also I think this would put too much compression on our little boom. Even when we rigged up the 16:1 fine tune it bent the boom a bit...
Posted By: F-18 5150

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/22/10 04:37 PM

I run 10:1 on my Tiger, with a tapered main it runs great.
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/22/10 05:18 PM

Running 9:1 on my F16 single handed.
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/23/10 04:56 AM

I have 7 to 1 on my F16, 10 to 1 on the F18HT, and 12 to one on the ARC 22, tapered sheets on the latter two, and am happy with all.

Dave
Posted By: BoK

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/23/10 09:36 PM

Dave has too many boats. smile
Posted By: Brian P

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/24/10 05:12 AM

6:1 on the stingray!!!
as we say in australia "HARDEN THE F$&@ UP!!"
Posted By: Brian P

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/24/10 05:15 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
watch this, and then have a think about 16:1!!!!
Posted By: Dazz

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/24/10 09:13 AM

you mean HTFU Princess!

10:1 tapered sheet is one handed!
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/24/10 01:34 PM

smile +1

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/24/10 03:34 PM

Ok Ok, enough bashing. 16:1 was to make it easier for my wife to trim upwind in breeze. She says she doesn't need it. So we're going for option B which is a double ended 9:1 with ratchet at the gooseneck. We have a race tomorrow, with most likely a 9 mile beat involved, supposed to blow 15-25. Will see how our new system works.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/24/10 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Brian P

Doesn't that tosser sail an F18? I think that i have met him!
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/24/10 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by BoK
Dave has too many boats. smile

It is impossible to have too many boats grin
Posted By: Don_Atchley

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/25/10 12:44 AM

LMAO laugh Sloan still hasn't received an answer to his question. This came about because I told him class limit was 10:1. But then we couldn't find anywhere it was documented at 10:1.
Apparently 10:1 is an arbitrary limit based on peer pressure and machismo! crazy

Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/26/10 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
Originally Posted by Brian P

Doesn't that tosser sail an F18? I think that i have met him!

LOL.... You do not realise how funny that comment is. A few of the AUS (Queensland) F18 Sailors have sported 'Choppa' Moes in the past. (none of them tossers)

[Linked Image]

Re: Mainsheet purchase - 09/27/10 05:03 PM

So 9:1 leading up the boom to a ratchet at the gooseneck is perfect. The system worked out great, Joy loves it, and she is able to trim main way better than having to twist around and work the aft sheeting. A series of knots in the sheet makes it really easy to hold on and trim in the puffs.

Unfortunately we couldn't finish the race as I had adjusted the rudder rake which resulted in zero control downwind in breeze. Learned my lesson there! Have now adjusted them back and all feels good.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums